TLeeNorris

Hello AntiX. I re-did my AntiX base w/Gnome, replaced it with KDE. I tried just the kdebase, but it was way to scarce of programs so I installed the rest of KDE. I like it.

Gnome was neat, but quickly got.... well I guess I just like KDE.

I liked the base Fluxbox and also Xfce. but small issue I know, I really like the ability to just click on stuff, and gui's.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Nice screenshot xToeCutter

How come PCLOS gets its face in?

How does antiX plus KDE compare with Mepis 7 rc1/2?
TLeeNorris
anticapitalista wrote:Nice screenshot xToeCutter

How come PCLOS gets its face in?

How does antiX plus KDE compare with Mepis 7 rc1/2?
Screenshot:
I hope that picture isn't to risque' , but I found it using the more wallpapers function under background setup. Its from kde-look I think it looks great, but my wife & daughter think I am crazy. __{{emoticon}}__

PCLOS:
The SuperKaramba theme I picked is made by a fan of PCLOS. I am working on changing the logos and text on it. Plus its for a dual core and I have only single core. Comment one out if I can figure out how to edit the file.

Mepis 7
Compared to M7... not quite the same, but close, since its mostly Debian. I may re-install Gnome (but useonly KDE) to get more flavor in the desktop apps.

A few questions:
Since you have the Mepis repo commented out; Should I leave it commented out, or update only when Mepis updates the kernel?

Sid:
What is the default distro repos we are using? Etch & Lenny? What benefit
would be had to dist-updating to Sid?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
xToeCutter wrote: Screenshot:
I hope that picture isn't to risque' , but I found it using the more wallpapers function under background setup. Its from kde-look I think it looks great, but my wife & daughter think I am crazy. __{{emoticon}}__
I don't mind at all.
xToeCutter wrote: PCLOS:
The SuperKaramba theme I picked is made by a fan of PCLOS. I am working on changing the logos and text on it. Plus its for a dual core and I have only single core. Comment one out if I can figure out how to edit the file.
I have never used SuperKaramba. Seems like a memory hog to me, though the eye candy is nice.
xToeCutter wrote: Mepis 7
Compared to M7... not quite the same, but close, since its mostly Debian. I may re-install Gnome (but useonly KDE) to get more flavor in the desktop apps.
I think you could have installed the Mepis kde if you had enabled the Mepis repos. And once installed, disable them.
Aarrgghh Gnome __{{emoticon}}__
xToeCutter wrote: A few questions:
Since you have the Mepis repo commented out; Should I leave it commented out, or update only when Mepis updates the kernel?
Yes, keep it commented out and enable when Mepis makes changes. Check defaults though ie don't accept Mepis changing the apt/sources.list
xToeCutter wrote: Sid:
What is the default distro repos we are using? Etch & Lenny? What benefit
would be had to dist-updating to Sid?

antiX-base uses Etch and Lenny. Upgrading to Sid repos seems to be faster on my box. You get bleeding edge, in some ways it is easier to manage than Etch/Lenny, but apps may break temporarily.
If you do switch to sid, you may lose your nvidia (if you use it) and have to install from the nvidia site.
TLeeNorris
Anti, with the release of the newest antiX base, I reinstalled.

I had problems this time installing KDE. It would not install completely until I removed mepis-config. Will this be a problem?
I don't seem to have any ill effects without the mepis-config.

I have also installed Gnome, fvwm-crystal and xfce4 (it removed libfam0?) for a little variety, and cleaned up my icons. __{{emoticon}}__
Plus I was able to run conky by removing the desktop icons and placing them in the panels only.
moron
xToeCutter,
How is it going with your antiX / KDE machine?

I have pretty much the same setup on a P3, 1Ghz, 1024 MB laptop and have experienced few problems other than occasional dependency issues.

I also have another (nearly identical) laptop on which I use Fluxbox on a Mepis7 installation.
Both systems work very well and, although I haven't actually run any speed tests, no appreciable differences have risen to the surface as of yet.
TLeeNorris
Moron, it runs great. I like it, it feels like I made it, sort of. My only problem this go around was the issue with mepis-config not letting me install kde. I hated to remove it (mepis-config) to install kde, but it was my only option. But gnome, xfce, and fvwm work great. I think this base .iso should be released with various custom themes. I know Anti and others love their fluxbox, and its cool, but I like the point and click of gnome & kde, and even xfce ( I made my current KDE desktop sorta look like it) is growing on me. The fvwn-crystal looks so cool, too. I installed enlightenment, but haven't figured out exactly what it does, yet. Yes, I have a totally bloated install now, but cpu power, memory, vga, and space are not issues with my rigs. I just like to customize.
moron
Versatility is one of the (many) great things about antiX. Here are a couple of sites that may be of interest to you:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://linux.sys-con.com/read/32768.htm"
linktext was:"http://linux.sys-con.com/read/32768.htm"
====================================

url was:"http://www.enlightenment.org/"
linktext was:"http://www.enlightenment.org/"

I, for one, would appreciate an update on your system from time to time. Thanks.
eriefisher
I would be interested in seeing some Enlightenment. I have never tried it. Maybe Ill try it on an old box here.

eriefisher
TLeeNorris
Heres a package list for Debian Lenny

url was:"http://packages.debian.org/lenny/enlightenment"
linktext was:"http://packages.debian.org/lenny/enlightenment"
TLeeNorris
I added Compiz-Fusion __{{emoticon}}__