anticapitalista
Site Admin
antiX-base.iso available for testing

I have made available an antiX-base.iso of 176MB for those that want a basic Lysistrata install and the freedom to add apps of your choice. antiX-base has all the Mepis tools to help get you going and install to hd, but little else!

Included are:
*fluxbox
*links2
*xterm
*gparted
*nano
*MidnightCommander
*sysvconfig
*antiX cheat codes (lean, mean, nogui, kbd selection) written by UnicornRider

Get it from
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://mepis.gabston-howell.org/download/testing/AntiX"
linktext was:"http://mepis.gabston-howell.org/download/testing/AntiX"
====================================

and here:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://penguin.ch/repository/dist/AntiX"
linktext was:"http://penguin.ch/repository/dist/AntiX"
====================================

You should be able to install any desktop environment you wish without problems.

Have fun!
moron
I've installed antiX-base on a p3 1Ghz laptop w/ 384 MB RAM. I kept fluxbox and have added opera & jpilot. One oddity is that I have to use a static ip address to get my antiquated marvell wireless card to work properly,however, that is not a problem (but it is a curiosity to me). AntiX-base runs very well and very fast on my system. I'll add / remove / configure more"stuff" as time permits. Thanks.
moron
More additions to antiX-base....

cupsys
smb4k
abiword
rox-filer
gqview
showfoto
leafpad

Showfoto was a test and probably will not stay. Kdelibs came with it but I see no noticeable decline in performance. Links2 web browser does not work well with some sites but, for the most part, is adequate (very fast).

I have also made menu changes to relfect the additions (leafpad ~/.fluxbox/menu).
dieselbenz
moron wrote:More additions to antiX-base....
Even though we understand the concept of -base, I think many new folks who try it will be bothered by having Links as the included web browser. I'm not saying use IceWeasel or Opera on this lite version, but at least something that will look like the average user expects to see when invoking"browser." ... Remember, some of these folks will be on dial-up and won't be able to easily apt-get a more powerful browser.

Not a major issue by any means, just one that I thought I should raise.

Don
moron
Base, as I understand it, is a starting point. The idea is to build from there. I could be wrong, of course; I was once. Ha!
kernel
AntiX-base: Just what I had hoped for. T hanks.
moron
The"Run" command activated in Workspace Alpha shows up, not in Alpha, but in Beta. If activated in Beta, it shows up in Gamma. If activated in Gamma it shows up in Delta. If activated in Delta it shows up in Delta. Under no circumstances will it show up in Alpha.
This is a new and sudden oddity. Has anyone else experienced this or similar? Any idea as to its cause?

P3 / 1 Ghz / 384 MB RAM / Antix_M7_Base / Fluxbox

Thanks
anticapitalista
Site Admin
moron is right dieselbenz, as the whole idea is for users to install basically what they want, so in terms of browser some prefer opera, others firefox, iceweasel, swiftfox etc etc. Links2 is there mainly to check that Internet connection works and also because it can be used in a non-graphical mode, very useful if you cannot get into X and you need to search the net for solutions. In this sense antiX-base is not suitable for those on dial-up.

and kernel, you're welcome. Let us know how it works out.
kernel
anticapitalista,
Thanks for you interest. I have installed Opera but use Links2 wherever I can. I have also added Rox, Abiword, leafpad, and cupsys. Apart from that it's pretty much as you packaged it. It is fast and easily customized -- serves me quite well on my p3 - 850 Mhz laptop (256 MB RAM). No problems. No complaints. Thanks.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
moron wrote:The"Run" command activated in Workspace Alpha shows up, not in Alpha, but in Beta. If activated in Beta, it shows up in Gamma. If activated in Gamma it shows up in Delta. If activated in Delta it shows up in Delta. Under no circumstances will it show up in Alpha.
This is a new and sudden oddity. Has anyone else experienced this or similar? Any idea as to its cause?

P3 / 1 Ghz / 384 MB RAM / Antix_M7_Base / Fluxbox

Thanks
Running antiX-base as a livecd doesn't do that on my box. Maybe it is to do with screen size. I have 1024x768. Run gets 'thrown' out to the left of the screen, but still in the correct workspace.
moron
Yep, thought about that but 1) that wouldn't explain why activating"run" in one workspace posts it in another and 2) I'm using 1024 x 768. Oh well, I'll try a few more things and post back if I run across something. Thanks anti.
UnicornRider
moron wrote: I'll try a few more things
- Did you change the menu entry for the"run" command?
- Does it show up in ~/.fluxbox/apps (e.g. as 'fbrun')? How?
moron
Thanks UnicornRider

Here's my app entry for fbrun.....

[app] (name=fbrun) (class=FbRun)
[Workspace] {1}
[end]

The entry in menu reads.....
[exec] (Run) {fbrun}

(btw....really enjoy penguin.ch)
moron
Got It! Removed the [Workspace] {1} from ~/.fluxbox/apps and all is well. Thanks.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Glad you got it moron.

Now just to ask to see if it is an antiX bug.

Was the 'wrong' app entry yours or did it get placed there on install?

As you are testing out the antiX-base, can you give me some feedback again about booting times for different RAM set ups like you did before.
It would be much appreciated.