secipolla
Hi.
anti, I upgraded with smxi yesterday and came a kernel version that had i386 in it. Does that mean antiX is supporting AMD K6 now? Is that already in this testing iso?
(the kernel was something like 2.6.27-1 mepis 2.6.27-37_i386 mepis)

I'm using the live-cd now (was going to install but I have 4 primary partitions already - that's ok, at least I made my antiX one bigger). I see that 'mouse theme' (desktop tab) and 'configure mouse' and 'keyboard layout' (xwindow tab) in Control Center lead to nowhere. I booted in pt_BR.
I'm gonna get the translation of tidesktool finished, too.

Edit - anti, I opened MtPaint and saw that the color picker is there so there's no need for gcolor2.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
pedro, the solution is to uce dhclient or the other one in wicd.

secipolla- ah thanks. I thought that might happen. It is pointing to a non-existant (at the moment) translated file. It will be fixed.

The latest kernel upgrade is the smp one, so antiX doesn't support k5/k6 .
secipolla
I don't think I can translate (completely I can't for sure) tidesktool. Since it depends on idesk it will require a lot of trial and error to see what can be translated without breaking its functionality.
Richard
On Intel Atom N270:

richard@aa1mint:~$ inxi -F
System: Host aa1mint Kernel 2.6.28-15-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 7 Gloria - Main Edition
CPU: Single core Intel Atom N270 (UP) cache 512 KB flags (sse3) bmips 3191.4
Clock Speeds: (1) 1600.00 MHz (2) 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card Intel Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.6.0 Res: 1440x900@59.9hz, 1024x600@60.0hz GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.4 Direct Rendering Yes
Info: Processes 139 Uptime 12:57 Memory 495.8/991.1MB Client Shell inxi 1.2.2

Downloaded antiX-full-test.
Unetbootin to put on pendrive.

Booted OK, menu works, external monitor resolution read correctly, installed to sda2.
Rebooted and all works as expected.

Via synaptic did upgrade (normal upgrade) not smart upgrade (which I suppose is dist-upgrade=full-upgrade).
About 200+ MB plus installed Krusader and it's baggage from habit.

Everything works great on my Acer Aspire One Desktop: 160 GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, 17"monitor, usb keyboard & mouse. Only using eth0, no wireless access point.

Going to try a dist-upgrade tomorrow to see what breaks.
Great job with the test.

regards,
Richard.
Richard
@secipolla & masinick,

Thanks for the comments on SeaMonkey.
I haven't used it since a couple of years ago.
Downloaded the 2.0rc1 and I am a believer.

For the first time in a long time (like when Firefox was called Phoenix) opening a couple of dozen pages doesn't load down the CPU. On this AA1 it is really noticeable. I have been running IceWeasel/Firefox & IceDove/Thunderbird for several years but have now changed to SeaMonkey.

BTW, my first browser was Mosaic on Compuserve. It's like old times, but much better.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
anti,

Installed to my laptop, Same specs as in my 1st post, except my cpu is maxed out, 1794, just stays there, getting late here, will do some more in depth checks tomorrow.
Still that bloody intel grinch giving me grief. __{{emoticon}}__

update: Installed powersaved, rebooted and now cpu is normal, last night it was clocked at 1794.00 MHz and stuck there. Had to boot livecd vesa Xtralean for correct screen resolution, then installed to hd using those parameters. I also installed kpowersave to be able to switch schemes, works fine, only brings in a few dependencies.

Hibernate works great, suspend results in black screen, ctrl-alt-f1, then alt-f7 returns suspend screen back to normal, wireless reconnects

~$ inxi -F
System: Host blb1 Kernel 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M8.5 06 Oct 2009
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium M (UP) cache 2048 KB flags (sse2) bmips 3589.83 clocked at 1800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card Intel 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device X.Org 1.6.4 Res: 1024x768@0.0hz
GLX Renderer N/A GLX Version N/A Direct Rendering N/A
Audio: Card Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller driver Intel ICH at ports 1c00 18c0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.17
Network: Card-1 Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
Card-2 Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG [Calexico2] Network Connection driver ipw2200 v: 1.2.2kmprq
Disks: HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (2.3% used) 1: /dev/hda FUJITSU MHT2080AT PL 80.0GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 24G used: 1.7G (8%) ID:swap-1 size: 4.34GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
Info: Processes 77 Uptime 10 min Memory 144.9/993.2MB Client Shell inxi 1.1.13

cheers,
oldhoghead
secipolla
Here's a pt_BR version of tidesktool (this and that isn't translated since it depends on idesk).
secipolla
anti, maybe you could add a file called startup_services to ~/Documents/ with the contents of this thread
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post12784.html#p12784"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post12784.html#p12784"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

I had it (the one I made for the thread) and when I saw it today I fooled myself and thought that I had posted a redundant info.
secipolla
If it isn't installed (it isn't in 8.2) you could put in the package
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/aggregate"
linktext was:"aggregate"
====================================
which is a complement to get-iana for generating the file /etc/firehol/RESERVED_IPS
anticapitalista
Site Admin
aggregate is installed and I added the startup_services file to ~/Documents.
powerdaved is also put back in.

I'll test out seamonkey and if it seems ok (I'm sure it is) then I'll think very seriously about using it over iceweasel.
secipolla
Eventually I figured out that the settings to manage cookies were hidden because of the default 'allow history' in Firefox. Of course they ain't in Iceweasel.
Anyway, Seamonkey 2.0 is strong. Of course it's RC but then it has a nice mail program and the composer for people that may need it.
Richard
Still using SeaMonkey 2.0rc1 (now 2.0rc2) and it is still my preference over Firefox/Iceweasel.
It is much more stable IMHO. Uses much less resources than FF/IW.

Mail is as stable as Thunderbird/Icedove. Still easy to copy mail store and bookmarks to /datb (my binary storage place used between different distros: sidux/linuxmint7/antix).

Thanks again for the tip.
secipolla
Anti, you could maybe add to menu>help>others a link to Debian menu (in Portuguese: Menu Debian). It's located at /usr/share/doc/menu/html/index.html
I know that if an installed software doesn't show up in the Debian menu (Applications) because it has no /usr/share/menu/ entry one could just set it to show in IceWM's menu and Debian menu is an extra resource..
I learned about Debian menu because I kept asking myself"why doesn't it show up?", then searched on the net and found the manual was already in the system.

Code: Select all

prog"Debian menu" - dillo file:/usr/share/doc/menu/html/index.html
lagopus
Just installed antiX-full post-M8.2 on a USB stick.
Booted in french language. Everything went smooth.
I did not experience the problem I had with 8.2 full (a freeze when strating X/slim: I had to start in single mode, login as root and start slim at the command line prompt)

anti, in the antix2usb-gui tarfile you uploaded to mepisimo, it seems that it lacks the antix2usb.sh script.
I did not work on these scripts since february (yes, the gui is python-gtk + glade, not perl !! really I don't like perl...).
There are some bugs in the gui. I would like to work on that.
I hope I'll have spare time this week-end to look at the persistent home and root fs feature.
lagopus
Hello

Trying the persistent fs option
Two partitions on my key: bootable antiXUSB and data antIXData, both ext3

Saving data in the (persistent) home directory works: cheatcode homefs=LABEL=antiXData.
I ran a simple test: saved a file to my home (/demo/home), and icewm settings, rebooted, retrieved my data.

Problem with rootfs:
cheatcode rootfs=LABEL=antiXUSB

mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /persist-root busy
FAILED to mount persistent rootfs"-L antiXUSB" at /persist-root
Falling back to ramdisk.
When I have both homefs and rootfs, I get the error for rootfs.
I am not sure the homefs=UUID=xxxx option works...
More on this later.
It takes some time to reboot, edit the kernel line, test different combinations...

updated:
homefs=UUID=xxxx works as well as homefs=LABEL=
(I noticed that the uuid of the second partition is not the same as the first !!)
But no success with rootfs.