topic title: antiX and jwm?
plvera
I was reminded by the recent Puppy release about jwm (Joe's window manager). I downloaded it and it sort of works. I find it much more complicated to configure than fluxbox or icewm. Has anyone else in the antix universe fooled around with this?

The configuration help is also complicated. I've only wasted a few hours on this so far, but I haven't been able to get the tray to show up yet. All the programs (from full fluxbox menu) are there and linked appropriately, so that's a partial success.

I might continue to fool around with this. It seems like a nice blend of fluxbox and icewm (if I ever get to overcome the menu syntax!).

Pedro
rokytnji
Ran Puppy Dingo for a while before switching over to AntiX. In Puppy it works real well as a Windows Manager. I probably wouldn't install in Anti though. Still learning the ropes in Flux and Icewm. I might make some room for Puppy on my Mint box, but Ubuntu based distros grub and Puppies grub don't play nice together. Last Time I dual booted with Ubuntu and Puppy, my grub got all screwed up. Supergrub would only boot one distro or the other. Wouldn't fix dual boot entries in grub. I ended up having to gedit Ubuntus grub and copy and paste Puppys grub entry into Ubuntus grub.list file. Ubuntu misidentifies puppy and visa versa.

So I guess, no, I haven't fooled around with JWM in Anti. Too afeared of breaking my working install yet.
plvera
Ah..certainly the voice of wisdom and reason! However, I have gotten very good at breaking my antix installations and reinstalling __{{emoticon}}__

Here's some progress on the jwm front. I agree it looks decidedly ugly, atm, but it seems to be working, and I'm happy that I haven't borked anything yet!

This is not the regular antiX menu, but whatever comes up with the fluxbox default. All the apps, are there. So my next step, is to convert the antix menu layout into jwm.

Pedro
macondo
The Debian menu is perfect, i reduced the workspaces to 2 only, changed the date format, reduced the fonts size, but i haven't been able to figured out the keybindings. It's very fast, uses 2 MB RAM.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3428/3401978538_81dac17e56_o.png"
linktext was:"Screenshot"
====================================
plvera
Macondo:
It looks like you got farther along than I was able. Nice! By the way, were you able to install a wallpaper? I tried following the instructions for jwm but it would not work for me. I went to antixcc.sh and installed a wallpaper that way, but you need to do it every time you log back in. I think that doing it from the jwm configuration menu would be better, but I couldn't get it done.

I'd be interested in whether you were successful with this.

thanks.
Pedro
macondo
plvera wrote:Macondo:
It looks like you got farther along than I was able. Nice! By the way, were you able to install a wallpaper? I tried following the instructions for jwm but it would not work for me.
I'd be interested in whether you were successful with this.
Hi plvera, i'm sorry, you're talking to the wrong guy __{{emoticon}}__
I detest wallpapers and eyecandy, i'm into simplicity and speed.
plvera
It's ok. There's no need to apologize __{{emoticon}}__
I thought it was pretty fast too. I was bothered by not being able to get the wallpaper to work when the way it was supposed to. Other than that, it worked pretty well.