briang
Hello I have an older computer (Northwood Celeron 2.7 ghz 256 mb DDR 400 ram) currently running debian etch.

While it has been relatively stable, I have been unable to print with it, and I have fluxbox installed anyway. So it might make sense for me to switch to antix 8 with the release of lenny coming up and the possibility that antix makes configuring printers easier.

so I have questions:

1. How easy is it to config printer in antix8
2. how easy is it to configure nvidia 3d graphics in antix8
3. Does antix use debian repos and can i use debian backports ect....

Thanks guys, my printer is a canon i860, connected to a windows xp computer if that helps.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
1. Hopefully it will be easy, through Set up Printer in the Control Centre.
If not you may need to do so via localhost and you may need to install extra apps ie gutenprint.

2. Very easy. The best way is to use the sgfxi script out of X.
1. Ctrl-Alt-F1 will drop you out of X desktop to a command line prompt
2. Login as root
3. Type sgfxi
Follow instructions.

3. antiX uses Debian Testing and MEPIS 8 repos. I'm not sure if debian backports is needed.
There is also a community MEPIS repo which may be a better choice than Debian backports, but I haven't tried it.

Note that antiX is really Debian Testing, not Lenny, which means that once Lenny goes stable, antiX will become what the Debian folks are calling 'squeeze', unless you choose to change the repo to point to Lenny rather than Testing.
eriefisher
I would do some research on the Cannon printer. They have a history of poor Linux support but it may be possible.