rokytnji
I wrote a simple tutorial in my own crude way on my experiences on my installations of AntiX onto a external Flash Hardrive on a Asus eee 900.

So please don't throw rocks at me if I screwed it up any. I just wanted to show what is possible. You can critique it at the below Link. If You think I did ok you can link to it with the wiki. I would do one for the wiki, but I don't know how and my writing skills are crude at best.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://yatsite.blogspot.com/2009/07/install-antix-82-final-on-asus-eee-900.html"
linktext was:"http://yatsite.blogspot.com/2009/07/ins ... e-900.html"
====================================
dark-D
good tutorial rokytnji. i think other eee users will benefit from it.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Very good tutorial and as ice-m says, I'm sure it will help other eeepc users.

Just one question.

Is the new menu.lst correct? Did you need to change root=/dev/sdc1 to root=/dev/sda1
rokytnji
The only thing I changed in root entry Anticapilalista was the (hd0,0). The sdc1 line on title entry was left as is. My system boots fine with the change on root lines in the new menu.lst. So new menu.lst is correct for the way I installed AntiX.

I didn't change anything like sdc to sda to have to get it to boot. Just grubs root hd number designations. I hope I am being clear about what I did. Any suggestions will be listened to with respect and consideration.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
You know better than me rockytnji as I don't have an external flash.
Thanks for the tutorial.
rokytnji
Thanks guys. I have the utmost respect of your opinions.
noremacpd
Hi... I am trying to install AntiX on a Eeepc 701 4G with a 4Gig SDHC card in the slot. The live usb stick works great, but when I followed the above instructions I got some unexpected errors.

After editing grub... selected boot the text screen complained about an undefined video mode number 317

At this point I was asked to press space to look at more video modes........ none of them seemed to make any difference to the next outcome.

I was left stuck with this on the screen:

sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb} Assuming drive cache: write through
sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb} Assuming drive cache: write through

After a minute or so BusyBox message identified itself with this line following:

/bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
(initramfs)

Thats all I can get.........Any hints???

As a fan of Mepis this just makes sense for me to try and get going. I still consider myself as a noob.

Thanks.........
secipolla
At grub's menu, change vga=791 to vga=normal. It worked for someone else with a similar problem.

url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post12426.html#p12426"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post12426.html#p12426"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
rokytnji
Yo noremacpd, I had the same message during boot and lived with it by just pressing the space bar and AntiX would finish booting up ok. Yesterday I did some searching around to figure out how I should edit my /boot.grub/menu.lst and below is what works primo good on my EEE 900. I don't know if it will work for a 701 but here it is.

Code: Select all

timeout 30
color cyan/blue white/blue
foreground ffffff
background 0639a1

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message

title AntiX 8.2 at sdc1, kernel 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/sdc1 nomce quiet nosplash vga=785 
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-1-mepis-smp
boot

title Xandros 4 (Debian Etch Based)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21.4-eeepc quiet rw vga=785 irqpoll root=/dev/sda1
initrd /boot/initramfs-eeepc.img

title MEMTEST
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
On the vga= line I changed it from 791 to 785 plus Imessed with the titles.
I boot up straight to login now with no undefined video message showing up anymore. Hope that helps ya.
noremacpd
Hi ... thanks for the suggestions...... nothing seems to work though. I can get different errors when trying some of them! I may try another install to see if I made a mistake somewhere. Still I am confused about how the Live version will complain about video settings but ends up still working?

It still maybe something to do with where grub looks boot.

Has anyone installed it to an sdhc card on an original 701?

Thanks for now!
julian516
rokytnji, I just joined the forum in order to thank you for your excellent HowTo! It is quite clear and it worked perfectly for me. I used a (nominal) 8 Gig cruzer micro and I run it on my System 76 Pangolin laptop. My installation was done using a Live CD. May I reinforce a few things?

I printed and studied your HowTo before I did it. I would advise others to do the same.

I would have completely missed the significance of chcking"Preserve data in /home ..." had you not mentioned it. Thank you! This is an important step. Using ext2 seems essential on a smaller USB jump-drive.

The installation of GRUB goes easily PROVIDED a person has their USB device selected! The Mepis installer in my case reverted back to sda and it would be easy to miss that. The result may be a fouled up boot process on the main hard drive. So people do have to be extra careful here.

I did have to modify my menu.lst exactly as you decribe and I followed your instructions for doing so. It works.

Your advice to check"use dhclient" when setting up the wireless networking was important. I do not know why the automatic setting does not work, but it does not work for me. With your advice I do get a quite good wireless connection.

I will only observe that wicd takes longer to establish a connection than does Ceni.

Once again my thanks to you! It took a lot of time to write your HowTo and I appreciate it very much
rokytnji
Thanks Julian for your nice post. I did it out of my enthusiasm for this distro and my respect for all the cool dudes that contribute everything to this distro from Wallpapers to Windows managers to Testers and finally Anticapalista himself. This was just my small way of thanking them. The guys behind the scenes so to speak. Was worth the time if it helped you. Happy Trails __{{emoticon}}__ , rokytnji
noremacpd
Hi ..... again ... Haven't had much time to fiddle with my install to sdhc card, but I tried something else. I downloaded full Mepis and burned it to a cd, then I pop it into an external cd/dvd drive and it booted up perfectly!!! So now I will try to install it to the same sdhc card. Still not sure way the live versions work and the installed versions to sdhc do not?

Oh well back to testing

Cheers
noremacpd
Hmmmm.... the plot thickens in my quest for an install!!! OK .... I could install the netbook version of Mepis and it runs ..... but no wireless. The reason here is because the special setup for the eeepc 701 is not installed.

But AntiX is a complete no-go ....... it gets to a certain point where it is waiting for the kernal or something like that, then it will complain that the device does not exist. It also mentions about rootdelay which I also included. Finally it fails saying that the disk it is looking at does not exist. After all this it will drop to a minimal text system.

Not sure what to do next?

Cheers
BitJam
noremacpd,

what media are you trying to install antiX from? Are you installing from a LiveCD or from a LiveUSB?
When you say antiX is a complete no-go do you mean the LiveCD/USB is failing to boot?
Which version of antiX are you trying to install?

For getting wireless to work with Mepis, did you look at this thread:
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/how-to-install-antix-7-5-on-eeepc-701-4g-t1147.html"
linktext was:"How-to: Install AntiX 7.5 on EeePC 701/4G"
?