hobbyist7890
I just tried a similar install except didn't get as far as the login. I was using the USB stick created with antix2usb in CLI mode. The antix2usb [EDIT: no that was live-usb-maker] USB is a GPT stick with the 2 partitions shown in my previous post. The USB stick successfully booted in UEFI mode on my ASUS minipc. I reached the antiX boot menu and tried to run antiX live except the kernel would not boot. I made the USB with the February 2016 amd64 core beta dist so that was bad. I think a final release from this summer would be a better choice with better support for the EFI mode. I plan to try some of these newer dists next.

I previously installed antiX to the ASUS in legacy mode and then converted to UEFI mode so am not in a bind yet am curious if antiX has ever been directly installed in UEFI mode by anybody so far.

This is only a test or experiment of the antix2usb program in my case so not too important.

EDIT: I forgot I used the /usr/local/bin/live-usb-maker not the antix2usb to make the GPT USB stick installer.
Last edited by hobbyist7890 on 28 Oct 2016, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
myway_1
I apologize for leading you two on a wild goose chase. Thanks for your willingness to help. I really appreciate it.
hobbyist7890
I am trying to learn this also.

Hey, my-way. Have you tried to install antiX from the installer USB to another USB?

I just tried to create a USB installer disk with the antiX-16_x64-core-libre.iso and could not make a GPT USB disk. I tried the antix2usb.sh and a simple cp without getting the GPT. I am going back to read all of the instructions I haven't studied for a long time because I want to do this for real next week.
hobbyist7890
I found my problem. I was using live-usb-maker not antix2usb.sh to make the UEFI bootable installation disk. My first attempt with the beta antiX_16-a1-xorg-sid_x64-core.iso failed to boot. My second attempt with the final antiX-16_x64-core-libre.iso went all the way to login to the live dist. I plan to do an actual installation in UEFI mode next week.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Please don't use alpha or beta versions once final has been released, They are 100% unreliable.

Later; Whoops, just noticed you tried the sid version. Still, sid is not reliable either.
myway_1
hobbyist7890 wrote:I am trying to learn this also.

Hey, my-way. Have you tried to install antiX from the installer USB to another USB?

I just tried to create a USB installer disk with the antiX-16_x64-core-libre.iso and could not make a GPT USB disk. I tried the antix2usb.sh and a simple cp without getting the GPT. I am going back to read all of the instructions I haven't studied for a long time because I want to do this for real next week.
No, I haven't tried that but I intend to, or from the installer USB to a microSD card if that's possible.
fatmac
myway_1 wrote:No, I haven't tried that but I intend to, or from the installer USB to a microSD card if that's possible.
As long as your computer will boot up from it, there will be no problem,

I use pendrives, SDHC cards, & micro SDHC (64GB) in a standard converter card in my laptops. __{{emoticon}}__
hobbyist7890
anticapitalista wrote:Please don't use alpha or beta versions once final has been released, They are 100% unreliable.

Later; Whoops, just noticed you tried the sid version. Still, sid is not reliable either.
Well, I am still running the antiX-16 amd64 alpha on my three computers updated with the sid dist. I had to do a little fixing to get things working nicely. I had to add my user to the input and video group if I recall. I also changed the permissions of the /dev/input/* files to avoid errors from Xserver. There wasn't too much wrong with the amd64 alpha. Eventually, all of the files will probably get updated with newer versions so the original alpha should become history.

I can probably get the official core-libre release to work by switching the kernel and adding the needed firmware files when I experiment with a not-too-old Dell next week.

I now have antiX-15 jessie and antiX-16 sid installed to my slightly old Dell notebook. I have antiX-16 sid installed to my Sony desktop and Asus media pc. Each of my computers has a few other distributions I am following also and I am trying to move from Debian Wheezy to antiX-16 sid. My next Dell will really require antiX sid because Wheezy is getting too old for the newer hardware. I should have some results next week.

I really really like antiX without systemd. I was expecting to stay with Wheezy before systemd forever; and then there was antiX.
masinick
To what degree do we claim that antiX (15 or 16) work with GPT formatted disks and UEFI boot loading?

I've been able to install antiX for the past couple of releases (and MX) with success, provided I either omit a boot loader or install the boot loader to the device partition I'm installing on. I've not been able to take over the MBR from another distribution that has installed on GPT/UEFI and is"managing" the boot loader configuration. So far, I've found only Fedora (first), openSUSE (second) and most recently PCLinuxOS, which is currently managing the booting process with GRUB-EFI and has control of the MBR.

Do we claim that either antiX or MX can, should, or will at any point manage the end to end booting process of all systems that have been installed on the disks and available media? I can boot antiX and MX, just not directly from either antiX or MX unless I load onto a system containing disks and booting mechanisms best labeled old traditional four primary partition, extended partition DOS BIOS based. I can chain load or run either system if another distribution manages the booting or I manually configure it.
hobbyist7890
The antix installer does not install directly to a UEFI system while in UEFI mode in my experience. I have recently installed antix to a GPT disk while booting the installer in both Legacy mode and UEFI mode and still the antix would not boot directly into UEFI mode either way. The installer did not install the efi enabled grub needed for UEFI support at least in the core install I was attempting. I was able to convert the resulting Legacy mode antix installation to UEFI mode with a few simple modifications explained here:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/convert-a-legacy-install-to-uefi-t6660.html"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/convert-a-l ... t6660.html"
====================================

I am confused by your post because of the mixing of MBR with UEFI discussions. The UEFI mode requires a GPT formatted disk according to the spec and will not boot an MBR formatted disk AKA DOS partition table in UEFI mode and must be changed to Legacy mode.
I think the GRUB must be restricted to the partition like sda5 and not to the sda full disk on a GPT disk in UEFI mode except am not certain about Legacy mode GPT. I have used the 'update-grub' command from a linux dist running on an MBR disk to search for any OS and so locate the kernel and initramfs in GPT partitions except that is really still a Legacy boot. The antix can then be prepared to run in UEFI mode with the efi enabled Grub while in Legacy mode. That is now required to make the .efi bootloader and so to get antix ready for a switch to UEFI mode booting using the .efi bootloader.
The UEFI mode replaces the MBR bootloader with the ESP partitions bootloader found in the mounted EFI directory at /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT or /boot/efi/EFI/antix as I show in my post. The Dell UEFI setup has a simple file browser to find the bootloader in the EFI directory and so start the GRUB menu we are looking for.

EDIT: To correct and clarify, I have used the 'update-grub' from a Legacy disk linux to generate a Grub menu including kernels for other distributions located in a difficult to boot attached GPT disk. I was then able to boot a distribution on the attached GPT disk without it's own bootloader.
Last edited by hobbyist7890 on 24 Nov 2016, 00:53, edited 3 times in total.
myway_1
The way that I installed antix 16 onto a GPT internal drive on a PC that was UEFI-only (no legacy support) was to use the partitions that were already there from another linux distro (that was an Ubuntu-based distro that had the ability to set up the partitions for UEFI automatically during its install process).

edit: this was not for a core install. I gave up on that - but may try again with hobbyist's help.