jbander
Well I've taken out many programs I don't need and now I had to burn it to a dvd. What am I missing here. Is there a way to find out how large my distro is on the DVD and how large it is when it is on the hardrive. df -h --total Doesn't seem to get the actual total of the distro itself. One other question is there any importance to size by using the compressed size total . Isn't there multiple compressors , that compress at different rates. Why don't they just give you a standard uncompressed size to reference by. Thanks everyone.
fatmac
Does this give you what you want(?).

Code: Select all

du -hs /
skidoo
Topic title mentions CD, but post mentions DVD.
"had to burn it to a dvd"
Why? Because it turned out too large to fit on CD?
(and that's why you were asking about compression options?)
(and... choosing a comparatively slooooow CD/DVD because your system is unable to boot from a liveUSB drive???)

Yes, multiple compression options are available, but per my testing, changing away from the pre-selected compression default does not yield a dramatically smaller iso.

"Why don't they just give you a standard uncompressed size to reference"
Because the result will vary wildy, depending on the data being compressed
(which you'll soon discover, in the course of adding/changing installed programs and generating different isofiles).
Toward forming a guesstimate, consider: you installed from iso, size was xxx MB; when installed to disk, size became yyy MB.
jbander
fatmac wrote:Does this give you what you want(?).

Code: Select all

du -hs /
$ sudo du -hs /
du: cannot access ‘/proc/156689/task/156689/fd/4’: No such file or directory
du: cannot access ‘/proc/156689/task/156689/fdinfo/4’: No such file or directory
du: cannot access ‘/proc/156689/fd/3’: No such file or directory
du: cannot access ‘/proc/156689/fdinfo/3’: No such file or directory
5.6G /
and if i $ du -hs / Iget 2.3 gig at the bottom. Is the bottom number the size of my distro. I'm doing this on a live Antex now.
jbander
skidoo wrote:Topic title mentions CD, but post mentions DVD.
"had to burn it to a dvd"
Why? Because it turned out too large to fit on CD?
(and that's why you were asking about compression options?)
(and... choosing a comparatively slooooow CD/DVD because your system is unable to boot from a liveUSB drive???)

Yes, multiple compression options are available, but per my testing, changing away from the pre-selected compression default does not yield a dramatically smaller iso.

"Why don't they just give you a standard uncompressed size to reference"
Because the result will vary wildy, depending on the data being compressed
(which you'll soon discover, in the course of adding/changing installed programs and generating different isofiles).
Toward forming a guesstimate, consider: you installed from iso, size was xxx MB; when installed to disk, size became yyy MB.
You can burn a CD because at it's source Antix is small enough, I've done nothing other then pull out many apps. but now it says that a CD is to small and I have to burn it on a DVD. That makes no sense to me. It seems to me that people who crunch distros by getting all the apps that aren't needed , would like to know how large the Distro is before you pull the apps and after you pull the apps. To me the real only way you can do it is by the uncompressed size of the distro
skidoo
That makes no sense
I agree. That result is confusing, counter-intuitive.

I don't know whether you apt-get purge'd those programs you removed, or just apt-get remove'd them. Also, in the time between, don't know whether you performed apt-upgrade or apt dist-upgrade (which could have brought in xxxMb additional content)... or, of the programs you removed, maybe something triggered installation of certain"alternative" packages to fill a dependencies gap.

You didn't mention -- what is the estimated"too large for CD" size reported by sudo iso-snapshot when you attempt to create the iso?

FYI, prior to creating a snapshot, you can pare down the size by removing unneeded (for you) language files.
sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
then sudo apt update && apt install bleachbit
and use bleachbit (as root) to remove"localizations"
^--- If you do this, I'm interested in hearing how many megabytes bleachbit is able to clean for you.

Another"weeding" step for you to consider:
Launch synaptic package manager, filter on"installed" packages, sort by size.
There might be some large packages (fonts) you can safely discard.
If you've uninstalled LibreOffice, know that it leaves behind a boatload of leftover, orphaned, libraries+helpers.
jbander
Bleachbit added 2 g and purge is the only one that showed that it got smaller
skidoo
what is the estimated"too large for CD" size reported by sudo iso-snapshot when you attempt to create the iso?
Several times across various topics, when I've asked for specific info while trying to assist you... you've ignored my questions.
Bleachbit added 2 g and
oh dear! That's not good (nor believable)

so it's time for me to excuse myself from this topic.

ok bye
jbander
skidoo wrote:
what is the estimated"too large for CD" size reported by sudo iso-snapshot when you attempt to create the iso?
Several times across various topics, when I've asked for specific info while trying to assist you... you've ignored my questions.
Bleachbit added 2 g and

ok bye
I'm sorry , I went past this one because I can't remember what the estimate was for the CD. I should have responded. I will watch that more closely. I appreciate the response. I looked at your shot at the end of your comment. It looks like we could both be a little more, What ever. I didn't expect to be charged with lying here but what ever.
jbander
I'll contribute more lies also. My total install Antix 7.0g. I pulled all the apps I don't use and it was at 2.8 g. Then I updated it and it went to 12g, I sudo apt-get clean& purge, It then went to 3.6g. I a few other things , Languages was one of them but I can't remember the rest. At this time it is 2.6g, I'm using df -h --total
jbander
skidoo wrote:
Bleachbit added 2 g and

ok bye
Im usually responsnve to people that try to help, so I had to look at our history. I've made 6 posts. The first was on ISO snapshot, You responded 6 times and I responded to all those 6. Second was file manager went to black . You commented just once and this is the first I've seen of it. the third was on control center. Again you commented once and this is the first I've seen of it. The reason is because In both those cases I had resolved the problem. I had no need to go back to them. the 4th was lost Icon You commented once ,and I told you that I had found it. 5th was how to make Rox pannel permantent , you didn't comment. And the last , the 6th one ,This one you commented twice I answered twice. You got upset and called me a liar and I responded 3 times to that. I'm ahead of you in comments. You made a mistake, you possibly got me mixed up for someone else. Or this isn't a happy day for you. I don't turn down a helping hand and I didn't turn down your helping hand either.
fatmac
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve, but skidoo is one of the good guys around here.

You can burn an AntiX .iso to a CD.
You can remaster & burn AntiX to a CD.
Read the documentation carefully, it does explain how to do it.
I'm not too deeply into the under workings, but I managed to create my own version a while back.
If it continues to get bigger, you haven't deleted the previously created iso image, I had that problem when I first tried it.
skidoo
Thanks for caring to lookup the prior topics, jbander.
I apologize for too tersely writing"not believable". I wasn't"calling you a liar" ~~ I just didn't take the time to explain
"bleachbit isn't capable of adding things (I've thoroughly reviewed its code); you're obviously mis-attributing the cause of the increased size".

What fatmac mentioned, presence of iso files generated during prior runs, that's probably the precise cause.

Lack of reply to this prior question is likely the source of my bad vibe:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7027"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7027"
====================================

Too often, lotta troubleshooting effort is wasted by trying to chase down"weird behavior(s)" which only occur when a special snowflake
noobishly decides to login as root (and doesn't mention this detail... and troubleshooters cannot reproduce the problem).
jbander
fatmac wrote:I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve, but skidoo is one of the good guys around here.

You can burn an AntiX .iso to a CD.
You can remaster & burn AntiX to a CD.
Read the documentation carefully, it does explain how to do it.
I'm not too deeply into the under workings, but I managed to create my own version a while back.
If it continues to get bigger, you haven't deleted the previously created iso image, I had that problem when I first tried it.
I have no doubt he is one of the best helpers here, because he has been just that . the person who has help the most on my question. That was never the point. The point I made is that in no way have I disregarded his help. This is over with, Skidoo has been my best support here as I said and I'm glad he responded back.
jbander
skidoo wrote:Thanks for caring to lookup the prior topics, jbander.
I apologize for too tersely writing"not believable". I wasn't"calling you a liar" ~~ I just didn't take the time to explain
"bleachbit isn't capable of adding things (I've thoroughly reviewed its code); you're obviously mis-attributing the cause of the increased size".

What fatmac mentioned, presence of iso files generated during prior runs, that's probably the precise cause.

Lack of reply to this prior question is likely the source of my bad vibe:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7027"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7027"
====================================

Too often, lotta troubleshooting effort is wasted by trying to chase down"weird behavior(s)" which only occur when a special snowflake
noobishly decides to login as root (and doesn't mention this detail... and troubleshooters cannot reproduce the problem).
Thanks for responding back. df -h --total gives me 2.6G used out of my 39 G partiton.