Aleph
anticapitalista wrote:For those that like stats, I thought I would let users know how antiX-16.1 downloads are going.

According to SF, about 9,000 downloads since release (17 Jan.) of which 6,456 are 64 bit! A surprise there.
No idea about downloads from mirrors (thanks to the devs for setting it up).
Not much activity via torrents since they were very recently uploaded (thanks chrispop99)
Fantastic!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!! __{{emoticon}}__
Dave
By the looks of the YouTube review comments we need to get some form of an"art team" like mx.... I am really shocked by how much people are distributed by how it looks.
masinick
I have not yet downloaded this particular update, but I have antiX 16.0 installed on at least one of my systems, and I've had most antiX and MX releases (as well as numerous MEPIS releases in the past) installed on multiple systems, and I've never once encountered an installation issue or a lack of support. I think only once I found a kernel that wouldn't load, but I think it was fixed by the time I reported it, and that was so long ago that I can't even remember for certain where it was, though chances are it was in the parent MEPIS code - those were always solid too.

Since I have installed the base antiX 16.0 release, unless I encounter any new issues with updates, I'd be inclined to proclaim this minor update successful as well - and I've not experienced any issues yet, so we should continue to be in very good shape.

As always, I appreciate the entire community, from the development team to the testers to the visitors of this forum. Thanks to all of you for making this forum a pleasant place to visit and this distribution and all of its associated variations such useful software!
dolphin_oracle
Dave wrote:By the looks of the YouTube review comments we need to get some form of an"art team" like mx.... I am really shocked by how much people are distributed by how it looks.
we need to start quoting Han Solo.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid".
chrispop99
Two weeks on, still going strong!

Chris
masinick
Aleph wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:For those that like stats, I thought I would let users know how antiX-16.1 downloads are going.

According to SF, about 9,000 downloads since release (17 Jan.) of which 6,456 are 64 bit! A surprise there.
No idea about downloads from mirrors (thanks to the devs for setting it up).
Not much activity via torrents since they were very recently uploaded (thanks chrispop99)
Fantastic!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!! __{{emoticon}}__
It would be very interesting to see which versions and which variations are downloaded most frequently. My suspicion is that it is difficult to determine these things based only on conversations here, because many that participate in the forums here use antiX either because they have really old hardware, because they want a flexible system where they want to install a fairly precise selection of tools and applications - or for both of these reasons, whereas when you look at a"larger population" those may not be the reasons why other individuals seek to use antiX.

I do think that when we added some additional window managers (such as IceWM, jwm) and we also provided tools for those with * some * ability to configure their systems without being"experts", I believe that we added to our audience.

Clearly what we choose to create here is not targeting the largest possible audience, but it's gratifying when we can successfully demonstrate considerable value for this software. Personally, I think it's a"well kept secret", though I've tried for many years to promote our software. I've written articles about it; I once created a tutorial example for building an antiX system from scratch, and I've had some small success at getting a few people interested.

I'm very happy with what we have, but if we learn more about our current user base and those who download and at least"try out" antiX, it may give us more ideas about the features that are the most important to those who have already inquired and tested our software.

Thoughts?
skidoo
Thoughts about what? About thinking about thoughts?
It would be very interesting to see which versions and which variations are downloaded most frequently.
would be interesting, or IS interesting?
Screenshot in the post immediately above yours does convey a"variations and versions" breakout
as does the downloads page at sourceforge
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Final/"
linktext was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... les/Final/"
====================================

learn more about our current user base and those who download and at least"try out" antiX, it may give us more ideas about the features that are the most important
look at stats, make inferences, introduce our personal biases...

Maybe inclusion of extra window managers lures additional users?
Maybe inclusion of my pet shinyFontX would appeal to additional users?
Maybe ibby appealing to more users if obscure ncurses app e3wz were preinstalled?
Last edited by skidoo on 08 Feb 2017, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
masinick
I will have to look... The system I'm using at the moment didn't display the details. I will check later when I am on my Linux system
Jens
masinick wrote: I'm very happy with what we have, but if we learn more about our current user base and those who download and at least"try out" antiX, it may give us more ideas about the features that are the most important to those who have already inquired and tested our software.

Thoughts?
How about modifying popcon to report stats to an antiX server?
fatmac
Regarding which version gets downloaded the most, it will be the 'full' version, that's the one most newbie antiX users will grab. __{{emoticon}}__

The 'base' gives the impression, to a newbie, of being too basic - but we know better. __{{emoticon}}__

The 'core' will only be downloaded by a few, that's just the nature of the beast. __{{emoticon}}__

I know, as do you, that this is the best distro, but some other people need convincing, & that is why I, & some others here, constantly 'suggest' it as the distro to try. __{{emoticon}}__
Shay

09 Feb 2017, 15:53 #26

It is not bloated with stuff I never use.. Eye candy is not my thing, just a good solid OS. AntiX fills the bill nicely. MX, I can deal with, but it does seem bloated to me.

I prefer the Japanese mirror 7Mbps vs SF Kbps. But once in a while SF gets into the Mbps range.
Just my thoughts.
zpimp
i have pointed out a bug in antix 16.0

the bug makes it impossible to install on a partition if you boot from another partition on the same drive

i checked 16.1 the bug is still there
where to post the bug, to get it fixed for next release?

thank you
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Does the MX-16 installer do the same?
Dave
Yes
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Sent a bug report to the MX/antiX bugtracker