topic title: Antix 15 with XFCE
zarg2
I could never get MX15 to act stable on my old Dell so I installed Antix 15 and then XFCE via the Metapackage installer. I use this hooked up to 55 inch TV and run KODI as a media server (installed the Debian backport repo so I could get KODI Isengard vs the old XBMC. I think it turned out ok.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Looks good! Is it still free of systemd?
zarg2
Good question, I will have to check. I am using Jessie with backports so I think I should bo OK. BTW SMtube is great. In Antix 16 I would keep Iceweasel as the browser, IceWM/Rox as the default and I really like ripperX versus Asunder.

The main reason I switched from MX15 to Antix/XFCE on this machine was I kept getting odd disappearing mouse cursor behavior. I am really happy with the current set up and KODI runs super smooth where XBMC Gotham would have odd mouse cursor behavior.

On the next MX I recommend going for a clean look like my desktop; keep the panel to the left side as that is a sort of brand ID but go with round manjaro like icons and a right side centered Gotham Conky, if you use a darker theme like I did with blue theme in windows I think the visual appeal is better. As far as performance goes MX/Antix are the best I've seen beside tinycore.
rokytnji
anticapitalista wrote:Looks good! Is it still free of systemd?
I'm curious a bit myself. I figure that

Code: Select all

harry@biker:~
$ cd / etc/apt/preferences.d 
harry@biker:/ etc/apt/preferences.d
$ ls
00systemd
harry@biker:/ etc/apt/preferences.d
$ cat 00systemd
Package: *systemd*
Pin: origin""
Pin-Priority: -1
would have thrown errors on not being able to install xfce if any systemd dependencies were being pulled in on his xfce install through meta package installer.

You know. Those error threads we get when someone tries installing a package with systemd library dependencies.
zarg2
XFCE installed with no errors and I installed it from the metapackage installer. I then selected it and set up things as I wanted using the XFCE settings manager. So far no hiccups.