* 4.2.1 kernel
* upgrades and bug fixes from antiX-15 release

Get them from here:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Testing/antiX-15/"
linktext was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... /antiX-15/"
====================================

Enjoy!

anticapitalista, 26 November 2015, Thessaloniki.

EDIT: syslinux used on antiX-15 is not compatible with the new one on alpha1. So you will need to upgrade unetbootin, syslinux extlinux on antiX-15 and then run unetbootin.

Unfortunately, syslinux used on antiX-15 (the held packages) are not set up the same as the latest on jessie and one breaks the other.
Or, if you want to keep syslinux on antiX-15 as it is, you will been to boot alpha1 somehow (cd or fromiso/frugal) and then when running alpha1, then use unetbootin
afab4
antiX-15.1-a1-V_x64-base.iso

Downloaded, checked MD5, made USB with the utility in the control center.
Upon booting I get this:

Code: Select all

gfxboot.C32 not a COM32R image

boot:
anticapitalista
Site Admin
You will need to upgrade unetbootin, syslinux extlinux on antiX-15 and then run unetbootin again.

Unfortunately, syslinux used on antiX-15 (the held packages) are not set up the same as the latest on jessie and one breaks the other.
Or, if you want to keep syslinux on antiX-15 as it is, you will need to boot alpha1 somehow (cd or fromiso/frugal) and then when running alpha1, use unetbootin
Last edited by anticapitalista on 26 Nov 2015, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed typos
afab4
Burned to CD. Boots up just fine __{{emoticon}}__
skidoo
bug exists in /sbin/localize-repo script
(already reported here) a-few-minor-issues-t5750.html

F8 save on boot menu does not save. Next boot, no custom menu entry exists and F3, F4 etc options reflect default values
(tried several times, various combinations)

In the absence of custom boot menu entry, when I chose the default menu entry... I was surprised to see onscreen"restoring state files".
Maybe that's the expected behavior & I've just never noticed. I've held the belief that"default + no persistence" ="Day1, as issued" or"clean slate".

noticed during init:
error... init line 35... /some/path/hotplug : no such directory

during one session (only occurred once)
network interface was"recognized" as enp4s0, was not assigned to logical eth0...
so graphs were absent from conky display, even though the network connection was working correctly
SamK
Due to time constraints the following system is purposely chosen because of its old age.

Burned ISO to CD

Boot from CD
cat /proc/cmdline

vga=788 lang=en_GB quiet splash=off nosysv=LX
Boot error message
Possibly unknown or misspelled boot codes: desktop=icewm
Boot to desktop OK
Error message displayed on desktop
No pinboard was in use...the 'Default' pinboard has been selected. Use 'rox= -p=Default' to turn it on in future.
inxi -c 0 -F

System:    Host: antiX1 Kernel: 4.2.1-antix.2-486-smp i686 (32 bit) Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8
           Distro: antiX-15.1-a1-V_386-full Killah P 25 November 2015
Machine:   Mobo: KAPOK model: SiS 630S Bios: SystemSoft v: Version 1.00 date: 10/22/97
CPU:       Single core Intel Celeron (-UP-) cache: 256 KB speed: 1295 MHz (max)
Graphics:  Card: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 630/730 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 driver: N/A Resolution: 1024x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 128 bits) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
Audio:     Card Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS PCI Audio Accelerator driver: snd_trident
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.2.1-antix.2-486-smp
Network:   Card: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet driver: sis900
           IF: enp0s1f1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:90:f5:13:a7:df
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-) ID-1: /dev/sda model: FUJITSU_MHR2020A size: 20.0GB
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 93 Uptime: 14 min Memory: 129.2/362.2MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.25
Note identification of NIC.

Network (cabled) works OK

Conky and IceWM Network monitors fail due to NIC identifier

Audio output and adjustment tests via CC mixer & equalizer OK

Screen resolution adjustment test via CC OK

Failure of kernel fan management produces rising temperature resulting in catastrophic shutdown of system

Geany launcher icon
/usr/share/applications/geany.desktop points to"Icon=geany".
This displays the non-standard icon
/usr/share/icons/Faenza-Cupertino-mini/apps/[16 32 48]/geany.png
It should point to the standard icon
/usr/share/pixmaps/geany.xpm

MP3Blaster
No longer works as shipped (OSS?)

User Name During Installation
minstall now forces the use of lowercase letters for user account names. Uppercase letters are now prohibited. This is a retrograde move that is unsuitable and unfriendly for users. The change in antiX is both unnecessary and inconvenient. Request a return to the previous antiX position of allowing mixed case usernames. This will be particularly helpful in sites where multiple workstations and servers are deployed that have been operating for a long while with mixed case user names.

Desktop Configuration Ante & Post Installation
Desktop configuration carried over OK from live to hard disk install with two notable exceptions.
In the taskbar, fbxkb and Search Bar were both purposely switched off (quit) prior to installation. This was not honoured during the installation routine. When these are not wanted and deliberately disabled that choice should also be automatically carried over to the installed set up in a similar manner to other desktop settings.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Geany launcher icon
/usr/share/applications/geany.desktop points to"Icon=geany".
This displays the non-standard icon
It should point to the standard icon
/usr/share/pixmaps/geany.xpm

This is the upstream .desktop file in Debian. and the standard way so icons follow the set theme.

Boot error message

Possibly unknown or misspelled boot codes: desktop=icewm
[/color]

Good catch!

Boot to desktop OK
Error message displayed on desktop

No pinboard was in use...the 'Default' pinboard has been selected. Use 'rox= -p=Default' to turn it on in future.

On very old boxes, like yours, this might be a problem only running live. As you have seen, jessie is quite a lot heavier than wheezy so older boxes will struggle more. The only suggestion is to boot with the min option in F6 when using live.

Conky and IceWM Network monitors fail due to NIC identifier
Will investigate

Failure of kernel fan management produces rising temperature resulting in catastrophic shutdown of system
This has come up before hasn't it and the conclusion was that your box (and others boxes) need to use an older kernel.

MP3Blaster
No longer works as shipped (OSS?)

Need to check

Desktop Configuration Ante & Post Installation
Desktop configuration carried over OK from live to hard disk install with two notable exceptions.
In the taskbar, fbxkb and Search Bar were both purposely switched off (quit) prior to installation. This was not honoured during the installation routine. When these are not wanted and deliberately disabled that choice should also be automatically carried over to the installed set up in a similar manner to other desktop settings.

You should make the change in etc/desktop-session/desktop-session.conf or startup file in that folder.
I'll check for a better way to do this.

User Name During Installation
minstall now forces the use of lowercase letters for user account names. Uppercase letters are now prohibited. This is a retrograde move that is unsuitable and unfriendly for users. The change in antiX is both unnecessary and inconvenient. Request a return to the previous antiX position of allowing mixed case usernames. This will be particularly helpful in sites where multiple workstations and servers are deployed that have been operating for a long while with mixed case user names.

I think the same installer is used as on the released antiX-15. Did you not see it then?
I'll investigate.

Thanks for the thorough testing!
SamK
anticapitalista wrote:This is the upstream .desktop file in Debian. and the standard way so icons follow the set theme.
We might as well modify our theme a bit more. Attached are 3 sizes of geany.png from the highcolor theme. They are drop in replacements for
ownership root:root
permissions rw-r--r--
Once in place the correct icon is displayed in the antiX menu.
SamK
anticapitalista wrote:On very old boxes, like yours, this might be a problem only running live. As you have seen, jessie is quite a lot heavier than wheezy so older boxes will struggle more.
This is the oldest laptop permanently available here but is not the only laptop/desktop/netbook. I recall reports during the early testing of 15-alpha/beta that the matter presents on considerably newer kit.
anticapitalista wrote:The only suggestion is to boot with the min option in F6 when using live.
This is not a viable way to use antiX as (apparently by design) the applications menu is not populated in this live mode. In turn this means none of the gui applications are easily available. From recall I began to broach the matter in 15-testing but didn't get an answer of the use case for this mode. The purpose of having it in the live ISO remains unclear.
SamK
anticapitalista wrote:
SamK wrote:Failure of kernel fan management produces rising temperature resulting in catastrophic shutdown of system
This has come up before hasn't it and the conclusion was that your box (and others boxes) need to use an older kernel.
The problem can be difficult to overcome. The time that elapses before the uncontrolled power off is unpredictable. It is affected by the amount of work the system has to do, the ambient temperature, etc. Having to boot with an unsatisfactory kernel then try to download build and install another before the system shuts down is a lottery. They are all taxing duties for less capable kit.

Perhaps we might have another ISO that includes an older kernel or some other means of getting a suitable kernel in a more reliable way than at present.
SamK
anticapitalista wrote:You should make the change in etc/desktop-session/desktop-session.conf or startup file in that folder.
This is at the heart of the point I was trying to make in the previous post when referring to it as being
"...automatically carried over to the installed set up in a similar manner to other desktop settings."
From my fallible recall the other settings were made (and carried across) by making changes in a gui manner i.e. without manually finding and editing configuration files. It is out-of-step (and user unfriendly) to have to do it otherwise for the 2 mentioned utils.

One way to do it that might be easy to implement is to move the entries from
/etc/desktop-session
to
$HOME/.desktop-session/startup
make it present as a default (rather than created on 1st use) and make the file executable
I am assuming here that because it is then in a user writable area it can be used in the same way as the other settings that currently carry across.
SamK
anticapitalista wrote:I think the same installer is used as on the released antiX-15. Did you not see it then?
Yes, I can confirm it has the same undesirable behaviour. At the time I discovered it the focus was very firmly on releasing antiX-15 rather than polishing it.
SamK
anticapitalista wrote:Thanks for the thorough testing!
That is a kind comment. Unfortunately I cannot predict when I will have sufficient spare capacity to do more on other kit.
rokytnji
Just testing the live usb 1st on the dell e4310 I made it on to make sure it works. Short test on sound/mic is OK.Internal Wireless OK.
Command I used for sound check on microphone since mhwavedit is no longer in Menu>Application>Sound and Video section of the menu.

arecord -vv -fdat stackoverflow.wav
That leaves a

demo@antiX1:~
$ ls
Desktop  Documents  Downloads  Music  Pictures  stackoverflow.wav  Videos
.wav file to listen to your microphone test to make sure it is working. Not much testing is going to happen on this 64bit laptop using the 32 bit iso.
I will give this a go on my Panasonic CF-48 Toughbook later on as it is a older rig and 32 bit.

$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: antiX1 Kernel: 4.2.1-antix.2-486-smp i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.9.2)
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8
Machine:   System: Dell product: Latitude E4310 v: 0001
           Mobo: Dell model: 0T6M8G v: A01 Bios: Dell v: A03 date: 07/08/2010
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5 M 520 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9576
           clock speeds: max: 2400 MHz 1: 2400 MHz 2: 1199 MHz 3: 1866 MHz
           4: 1333 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.5-k port: 6040 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eno1 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200
           driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 62.0GB (1.2% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 60.0GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: DataTraveler_2.0 size: 2.0GB
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 144 Uptime: 26 min Memory: 261.0/3468.2MB
           Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.2
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.2.31 
I updated inxi just because I could. __{{emoticon}}__

Post back on what reports and tests on this iso you wish from the panasonic toughbook. I expect this to boot OK on it.
Since SamK mentioned overheating. I did a sensors-detect to check on this dell unit

$ sensors
dell_smm-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
Processor Fan:    0 RPM
CPU:            +45.0°C  
SODIMM:         +45.0°C  
Other:          +47.0°C  
Other:          +51.0°C  

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +48.0°C  (high = +95.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:       +46.0°C  (high = +95.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Best I can do for now bros. Still busy on the real world chores.
rokytnji
Panasonic CF-48 connects wireless OK . Tap on mousepad works OK. Microphone command I posted earlier spits out no sound (no reaction in terminal to voice test). Might have to tweak something on that.

$ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: I82801CAICH3 [Intel 82801CA-ICH3], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel 82801CA-ICH3]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: I82801CAICH3 [Intel 82801CA-ICH3], device 1: Intel ICH - MIC ADC [Intel 82801CA-ICH3 - MIC ADC]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
This laptop always ran about 70C or hotter no matter what I ran on it. The CPU fan runs continuous
on it also usually.

$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: antiX1 Kernel: 4.2.1-antix.2-486-smp i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.9.2)
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8
Machine:   System: Matsushita product: CF-48V4HLUQM v: 004
           Mobo: Matsushita model: CF48-4 v: 001
           Bios: Phoenix K.K. v: V4.00L13 date: 12/12/2002
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 Mobile (-UP-) cache: 512 KB
           flags: (pae sse sse2) bmips: 2393 speed/max: 1200/1600 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV200/M7 [Mobility Radeon 7500]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1024x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI R100 (RV200 4C57) x86/MMX/SSE2 DRI2
           GLX Version: 1.3 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller
           driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: 1c00 1880 bus-ID: 00:1f.5
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
           driver: 8139too v: 0.9.28 port: 4400 bus-ID: 02:02.0
           IF: enp2s2 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG [Calexico2] Network Connection
           driver: ipw2200 v: 1.2.2kmprq bus-ID: 02:03.0
           IF: wlp2s3 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 32.0GB (8.5% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: IC25N030ATCS04 size: 30.0GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: DataTraveler_2.0 size: 2.0GB
Partition: ID-1: swap-1 size: 2.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 74.8C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 101 Uptime: 10 min Memory: 116.1/1257.4MB
           Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.2
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.2.31 
$ sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device