BitJam
I will post some screen shots of the Linux console in this thread using the console decorations from antiX-14 at the resolution of 1024 x 768. The other resolutions available OOTB are 800 x 600 and 1280 x 1024. If you want some bling at a different resolution, please get in touch with me via PM or email.

I took these as screen shots of VirtualBox. Sometimes VBox leaves artifacts that need to be cleaned up a little (I used Gimp). You can take screenshots of a virtual console in a running system with the fbgrab application which should be available in the usual places.

I'm going to start out with a console game that comes pre-installed on the live system: Space Evaders! The standard setup is rather bland but you can spice it up with command line parameters. For this shot I used:

Code: Select all

/live/bin/space-evaders --width=120 --gap=12 --elev=6 --cols=12 --space=2
which can be abbreviated to:

/live/bin/space-evaders -w120 -g12 -e6 -c12 -s2
or even to:

/live/bin/space-evaders -w120g12e6c12s2
SamK
bitjam wrote:I will post some screen shots of the Linux console in this thread...
A request...

Will you consider reducing the height and width dimensions of the jpg files used in this thread. This will benefit users who view your screen shots on non-widescreen monitors. On such a system running with a resolution of 1024x768, the above image does not fit on the screen. It must be scrolled both horzontally and vertically to see its edges. Scrolling is trivial to does but tends to reduce the impact of the message.

Over recent months in the antiX forum, there has been a trend for users to post screen shots that suit widescreen only. In view of antiX being aimed at newer and older kit it will be helpful if screen shots are sized with this in mind.
BitJam
Sam, I am aware of your concern which is why I put the resolution in the title and why I plan to stick with one resolution per thread. I want to make other threads at 800 x 600 and maybe even 1280 x1024. I thought 1024 x 768 was a good compromise to start out with. I don't plan to reduce images because that tends to make the text either illegible or hard to read.

I am always very disappointed when a desktop screenshot has been reduced so I can't see the details. I would much rather have to scroll. Another possible problem is that wide images can sometimes make it so you have to scroll the page to read the text. The Mepis forums solves these problems by making thumbnails of attached images that are over a certain size. It would be great if we could to that here. But since we don't have that, I thought keeping to one image size per thread (at least for these console screen shots) would be a good solution. That way, people with the right sized screen (or larger) can see all the images by scrolling the page vertically.

I agree with you that the forums should cater to lower powered machines but OTOH, I don't think every thread needs to be optimized for low resolution displays to the detriment of everyone else. I like the idea of having a resolution limit for each thread and to have that limit posted in the title of the thread like I did but I don't know how this could possibly be organized or enforced.
fatmac
My twopence worth.
It makes the forum look untidy/inconsistent - as if it's some kind of mistake.
Personally, I think it would be good as a thumbnail/expandable or thumbnail/attachment.
(I quite often use a netbook for forums.)
SamK
BitJam wrote:...I don't think every thread needs to be optimized for low resolution displays to the detriment of everyone else.
I was not meaning it to be seen purely in term of screen resolution. There are lots of older systems that have non-widescreen format screens.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Let BitJam post his screenshots. at the size he wishes in order to show of this feature new to antiX-Testing.

They won't be too big, and even if they are, well never mind. There are more pressing issues to worry about (and not just antiX ones) __{{emoticon}}__
SamK
@Bitjam
Having your screen shots at whatever size is much better than not having them. It is entirely proper that the dimensions of your images are at your discretion.

I understand your desire to present screen shots using a range of dimensions to help with the wide variation of user local kit. My basic point was an attempt to assist in reaching that goal.

In brief...(and then parked)
If the image dimensions are equal to the maximum resolution of the screen, some of the image will be lost when viewed in a web browser. The user will have to"fiddle" with the system to see the entire image.

In addition to the image, the screen might be displaying a titlebar, menu bar, address bar, tab bar, status bar, horizontal and vertical scroll bars, and a taskbar. At all resolutions, some of the image will be truncated to account for the screen furniture.

My request to reduce the image dimensions by a guesstimate small amount (i.e. slightly smaller than the max screen resolution) was aimed at allowing at least some users to see the entire image.

Rather than discouraging your work and effort it was intended to be encouarging and assist (in a very small way) your welcome insight into this new feature in antiX-14R.