bobww99
Topic: antiX-13 Luddite error at install.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition,32 bit
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
System Manufacturer eMachines, Inc., T1842
System Model Imperial
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~1794 Mhz
CPU Celeron CPU 1.80 GHz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix 6.00, 11/20/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.31
Display Name: Intel 82845G Graphics Controller
Hard Disk Size: 37.27 GB (39.9 GB)
Partition: Disk#0,Partition #0
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Total Physical Memory 640.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 269.74 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.37 GB
ADDITION DETAILED HARDWARE RESOURCES AVAILIBLE UPON REQUEST.
Broken windows xp home edition on 1 partition.

I broke the windows xp by resizing in gparted. I would like to install antiX 13.2 as a single alone OS in the e-machine.
See screen shot** from using plop and usb with antiX 13.2.
Please suggest any fix(s) to eliminate error in loading antiX 13.2.
I am a newbie so please be as clear as you can.

screen shot**
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://postimg.org/my.php?gallery=bquc0xsc"
linktext was:"http://postimg.org/my.php?gallery=bquc0xsc"
====================================

I hope you can see the screenshot if not let me know how to post so you can see it.

Thanks,
Bob
dolphin_oracle
I cannot view your screen shot. The link takes me to the"Upload a file" page. You might try looking for a share link or a direct link to post.
bobww99
Try this site:

url was:"http://beta.dropshots.com/bobww99#date/2015-06-01/04:53:24"
linktext was:"http://beta.dropshots.com/bobww99#date/ ... 1/04:53:24"

or
url was:"http://beta.dropshots.com/bobww99#photo"
linktext was:"http://beta.dropshots.com/bobww99#photo"

None of these site make it clear about who can view them?

I can post a screen shot in the screen shot forum?
Bob
rokytnji
Looking at the screenshot. I see a grub screen. No error. So plop got you there. ????????

Edit: I guess the mini window on the left of grub boot splash screen is what you mean?

I have never seen that error myself. What happens if you hit the Enter/Return key to boot?
BitJam
That is a problem/crash in the Live bootloader. I haven't seen that in 13.2 before. Maybe it is related to your use of plop. Can you boot an antiX-13.2 LiveCD directly instead of using plop? If so, you can use our LiveCD to boot our LiveUSB by using the from=usb option.

Another possibility is there was a problem when you created the LiveUSB which causes the bootloader to crash but this seems unlikely. It is also possible that you have uncovered a bug in our bootloader but I don't know why you would be the only person it happens too. How did you create the LiveUSB?

BTW: What is the title of the F7 menu (which is mostly off-screen). Is it"DPI" or"Save" or something different?
skidoo
I broke the windows xp by resizing in gparted
maybe the boot flag got unset when you performed the resize?
To check from within gparted, select that partition and right click to see which flags are set.
That is a problem/crash in the Live bootloader. I haven't seen that in 13.2 before.
Yep, that's the error box I encountered with the 13.5 alpha.
I'll check later tonight, but I'm guessing I can trigger it in 13.2 also (but just never noticed b/c i never tested that in 13.2)
bobww99
rokytnji: Nothing happens when hitting the enter/return key.

BitJam:
I tried f7 (part of the s in save was visiable) and it returned me to script that reads"boot _" with underscore flashing.

Can you boot an antiX-13.2 LiveCD directly instead of using plop? If so, you can use our LiveCD to boot our LiveUSB by using the from=usb option.
I have no live CD, live DVD, or live disc disks available. I use a USB stick along with plop for this purpose. I might have to go out and purchase some.
How did you create the LiveUSB?
I right clicked the AntiX 13.2_386-full .iso icon from Mint 16 and chose"Make a bootable usb stick".
Note: A successful Md5sum was performed on the AntiX 13.2_386-full .iso download.
BTW: What is the title of the F7 menu (which is mostly off-screen). Is it"DPI" or"Save" or something different?
Looks like the beginning of the letter"S" which is off the computer screen. I held F7 down and the program restarted again and printed out"Then flashed"Could not find kernal image: gfxboot" then looping to"boot: _" with flashing underscore. Repeats and repeats. Entered ctrl + alt + delete and I am back to boot screen again. Tried several times and keep receiving same output.

New addition to post:
Good hunting skidoo.

Thanks all,
Bob
BitJam
skidoo wrote:Yep, that's the error box I encountered with the 13.5 alpha.
I'll check later tonight, but I'm guessing I can trigger it in 13.2 also (but just never noticed b/c i never tested that in 13.2)
IIRC, the error you found was in a pre-release version of antiX-14-alpha-2, not antiX-13-anything and it only happened after you saved a timezone. In both cases the bootloader is crashing but I believe the causes are different. For example, notice that bobww99 has not yet used the"Save" feature to save a timezone. Also, even when using the Save feature I was not able to trigger the bug in 13.2 nor was D.O. able to, nor was anticapitalista. Also, I believe that when the bootloader crashes due to the Save bug you found, the F7 menu does not appear on the screen.

I don't know why bobww99's bootloader is immediately crashing but I don't think it is related to the bug you uncovered.
BitJam
bobww99 wrote:
How did you create the LiveUSB?
I right clicked the AntiX 13.2_386-full .iso icon from Mint 16 and chose"Make a bootable usb stick".
Note: A successful Md5sum was performed on the AntiX 13.2_386-full .iso download.
It is possible (but unlikely) that this is the problem. I don't know of anyone who has made an antiX LiveUSB with way. Although it is possible that many people have made an antiX LiveUSB this way and it worked fine so they didn't mention how the LiveUSB was made. I suggest using Unetbootin which runs on Linux and on Windows.
Looks like the beginning of the letter"S" which is off the computer screen.
This is strange and it may be related to your problem. All of the Fn key menus should fit on the screen just fine when using the English language. We only provide a bootloader resolution of 800x600. If your maximum screen resolution is smaller than that then this might explain the crash. I've attached a screenshot of what the bootloader is supposed to look like.

You might be able to get out of the graphical boot loader with Shift-F10. This should get you to the"boot:" prompt. If you can get there then enter:

Code: Select all

Command_Line_Install
and the system should boot. To get the GUI (X windows) running, log in as root (password: root) and run:

telinit 5
Alternatively, you could enter:

Home_Persistence
and then continue past one or more error messages. If you do it this way, you won't have to log in as root to get to the GUI.
skidoo
IIRC, the error you found was in a pre-release version of antiX-14-alpha-2, not antiX-13-anything and it only happened after you saved a timezone. In both cases the bootloader is crashing but I believe the causes are different. For example, notice that bobww99 has not yet used the"Save" feature to save a timezone. Also, even when using the Save feature I was not able to trigger the bug in 13.2 nor was D.O. able to, nor was anticapitalista. Also, I believe that when the bootloader crashes due to the Save bug you found, the F7 menu does not appear on the screen.

I don't know why bobww99's bootloader is immediately crashing but I don't think it is related to the bug you uncovered.
yes it was antiX-14-alpha (above, I mistyped)
Yes, your IIRC is 100% accurate... and no problems found when I retested 13.2 LiveUSB boot menu tonight.
bobww99
From BitJam suggestions:
You might be able to get out of the graphical boot loader with Shift-F10. This should get you to the"boot:" prompt. If you can get there then enter:
Shift+F10 = no prompt. Then I decided to use the combination of Shift with F7 and F10 while leaving out Shift + back and forth and so on. Note that I allowed a 10 to 20 second delay between each keystroke to determine any outcome.
Don't remember which key stroke I was in, but a few keystrokes seem to toggle the screen slightly and I believe the F7 or F10 with or without worked?
I received the standard antiX blue opening screen with the install button present. Clicked install button and I am up and running antiX fully installed.

Thanks all,
Bob
Will leave post open (no SLOVED) for a short while and recheck from time to time to see if any questions need addressing about the topic?