roland
When I switch on my AMD 64-bit box 9 times out of 10 it boots straight into antiX and shows the normal screen, taskbar, icons, conky, and my own wallpaper not a system one. Box has 300gb HD EIDE, 3gb ram, Asus mboard, a decent oldish box. But the 10th time all I get is a black screen with the large X in the middle, as if slim has failed to be found or to load up. Any suggestions as to cause or a fix ?
rokytnji
Poke around in

Code: Select all

harry@biker:/var
$ ls
backups  cache  games  lib  local  lock  log  mail  opt  run  spool  tmp
starting at log and see what you can find. Or, use

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=boot-info-script"
linktext was:"https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... nfo-script"
====================================

Intermittent problems can be a PITA to narrow down to a cause though.
roland
Thanks rokytnji, I did poke around as suggested and found a file called slim.log which contains the following, seems to be repeated for every instance of slim failing to start :-

slim: waiting for X server to begin accepting connections.
slim: open_session: Unable to open session: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
slim: waiting for X server to shut down

&tc. &tc.

As I had another issue concerning the console and keyboard setup showing a red error in the boot script I decided on a re-install preserving $HOME, this time requesting no F4 options at all. This seems to have cleared both problems. The error in red has disappeared from the boot script diagnostics, the slim failure to start has no occurred since the re-install.

Thanks for the suggestion.
rokytnji
Yeah. Sometimes a reinstall. Since it only takes a few minutes. Makes more sense than poke and hope for hours.

I have pretty much migrated from 13.2 to 15 myself. Being a procrastinator of legendary slowness. Having ran a 11 install into the ground on one tower before finally giving in. I still have a couple of alpha and beta 15 installs I have not upgraded yet because I have not broken them yet, so I shrug my shoulders and go."Oh well, maybe later."

I'll tell you a secret. /usr/local/bin in AntiX 15 beats the socks off of /usr/local/bin AntiX 11 and 13.2.
But if you try to make either 13.2 or 11 /usr/local/bin like AntiX 15 by changing Daves repo server to what 15 no systemd uses.

Say bye bye to logging into your 13.2 install anymore. As far as forum slowness goes. I experience the same as you and others being on the Mexican Border myself with slow internet service to begin with. The Forum server problems I posted about makes that even slower.
Since I cannot do anything about it. Like everything else in life that I cannot change and have to live with.

I shrug my shoulders. Grin."I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer till the others fix this."
skidoo
9 times out of 10
Stands to reason that if the problem were a configuration issue, or file corruption issue,
it would consistently occur. So, sounds to me like a timeout issue. Early sign of hard drive failure?
Maybe adding a bootline cheatcode to force a fsck check each boot would be helpful?
fatmac
Try removing/reinserting your drive cables to get clean contacts, might be all that is needed.