Silent Observer
I just installed antiX 13.2 64-bit (Wheezy) on an Athlon 64 eMachine, dual boot with MEPIS 11, and got a bit of a start when I tried to log as root to install Google Chrome (to avoid having to call the user to log in); I got logged okay, but instead of the ice-wm for antiX I expected, I got a version of ice-wm that was branded as Debian and didn't have the Control Centre (which would have required me to use a terminal to mount the USB key I'd pre-downloaded the Chrome .deb onto). I tried again, switching to fluxbox at the login screen -- same result, I got a"plain Debian" fluxbox without Control Centre in the menu. Worked fine when I called the user to log in for me; I got the expected branding for antiX and Control Centre was right where I expected to find it. Is this a bug, or is this as-designed behavior? Assuming the latter, how would I get to User Management without Control Centre (i.e. when logged as root) to add another"ordinary user" account so I can log in as myself when I need to maintain that install?

BTW, I've seen this happen once before, when I tried to upgrade 13.1 to 13.2 with"apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" -- only then it happened with the ordinary user, and I fixed it by clean installing 13.2...
fatmac
Basically the root account is for those that know what they are doing, having user accounts is a safety measure.
See the 2 books I mention in my 'sig' to learn Linux & Debian.
Users can be added by 'root' at the command line,

Code: Select all

adduser <name>
see

man adduser
or any other 'man' page for descriptions of how to use base Linux/Debian programs
skidoo
S_O, by"icewm branded as Debian" do you mean you're seeing Debian swirl wallpaper on the desktop?
I haven't booted the 64bit, but I suspect what's going on is:
The distro ships with etc/skel pre-populated with the antiX custom menus, desktop settings, etc.
and (partially by convention, partially to minimize the size of the iso) nothing under root.
During live session, the skel content gets copied to home/demo dir...
...but no skel copying is performed (by convention I think, not specific to antiX) when you login as root.

Rather than"logging in as root", you can perform any necessary maintenance tasks
(like installing Chrome browser) while logged in as regular user by using sudo (or gksu).
If you prefer to"login as root", you can copy the contents of etc/skel to /root
and after logging out, next time you login as root the configs will be in place and you'll
see the antiX-flavored desktop and menus.

FWIW, i set a different desktop theme and a different mouse cursorset for root,
to provide a continual visual reminder that root permissions are in effect.
Silent Observer
Thanks, fatmac, for the reminder that I'm not allowed to ask for help on things that need to be done as root. Not that I don't appreciate an effort to help -- just that"RTFM" isn't really helpful for a short term, single task issue. I work for a living and administering Linux isn't a primary hobby for me; I'm here because I can't afford to buy all new hardware and OS every time Microsoft decides to upgrade the world, not because I want to spend every free minute trying to make five computers work right for myself and three end users (as the only one in the house who has any clue relative to Linux).

Skidoo, that sounds like a sensible explanation of what's happening; I might try copying the [/]etc/skel into /root and then setting a"warning" root scheme (MEPIS has something like this, a wallpaper with a skull and bones in a yellow triangle road sign). I'm loggin in as root only to avoid having to call the user to log in; all I'm really after is to get to Control Centre so I can add a new user for myself (antiX install gives the option to create only a single regular user) and not have to log in as root or know the other regular user's password; I suppose I can get the file name from the .desktop files on one of my other antiX systems. I'm reluctant to use adduser from a command line because I'm unfamiliar with the command (and don't have time to read and memorize two books on how to run Linux and Debian) and often find command line tools assume a higher level of knowledge than GUI equivalents.
rust collector
If you want to use the antix control center, you can type antixcc.sh in a terminal.

Otoh, if all you really want to do, is to add a user, adduser is not so bad.
You type adduser (the_username_you_want), then it will ask you what password to add to the new user, twice, to be sure. and that is it!
fatmac
I didn't say RTFM, you asked how to add a user.
I'll try to remember not to offer you help in the future;Happy New Year.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
antixcc has an adduser function.

System -> Manage Users

antiX DELIBERATELY comes with a horrible 'root desktop' in order to persuade users from logging in as root. As skidoo explains and fatmac points out, it is best not to login as root, but to use the root password. OK it might mean typing more, but IMO and the antiX dev team's opinion, it is best for users to get into this habit. Just because othe linux and other OS allow/encourage root login doesn't mean it should be done IONSHO __{{emoticon}}__

I don't think you should dismiss flippently fatmac's advice. No-one is forcing anyone to read the f manual. However, to get the most out of any OS, delving deeper will give YOU much more power in how YOU want to run YOUR OS, if YOU wish to do so.
Silent Observer
Thanks for the help, everyone -- fatmac, I apologize for getting short with you; sometimes it's easy to mistake a short form answer for a suggestion of the shortest route elsewhere, especially after some experiences on other forums with rather unfriendly"help". I agree, it would be better to know more about running Linux, but I don't have huge numbers of spare hours and I've been using Linux on a regular basis for only a few months.

Anti, I agree, it's a bad idea to run as root (I've hosed Windows, where root equivalent is the standard setup, enough times to know); I prefer to reserve that option for rescue only, and the only reason I was trying to log in as root when I posted was to avoid having to do so routinely. In fact, I had found"Manage Users" before I posted my original question, but without Control Centre showing in the root interface, I wasn't sure how to get there on the machine where I needed to use it without access to a user account to start with. Now I know.
fatmac
Apology accepted; I know it can be frustrating to start with.
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
Why bother using X-server at all in order to install Chrome in a hurry? Start in thingy three, log in at the console and do 'apt-get install chrome'?
Surely this would be the administrators way to go? __{{emoticon}}__
Silent Observer
Alanarchy wrote:Why bother using X-server at all in order to install Chrome in a hurry? Start in thingy three, log in at the console and do 'apt-get install chrome'?
Surely this would be the administrators way to go? __{{emoticon}}__
I'm sure it would be, Alanarchy. I was mentioning just the other day (after spending an hour or so trying to get Path to Exile, with a"platinum" rating -- supposed to mean"just works" -- on Wine AppDB, to run in Wine on MEPIS 11) that if we win the lottery we need to hire a Linux admin. The only reason I'm administering all these machines now is because everyone else in the house is far less able with Linux than I am (I'd been fixing Windows XP and Vista for them previously, so it's not just Linux).

However, my experience in the past has been that repos commonly don't have a current version of Chrome on tap (because of the package maintenance process, the best they can do is an updater package like update-sun-jre and the MEPIS repos I'm more familiar with offer only Chromium, which doesn't include Pepper Flash, and that in an outdated version); downloading the .deb direct from Google ensures a current product, but using dpkg from command line for a package with a file name as long as my arm strikes me as prone to errors. __{{emoticon}}__
rokytnji
I run Chromium and Pepper Flash in my Testing installs. Google Chrome can kiss my
, oh well, you know.

I think the Mepis state of mind, being based on Debian Stable. Well that might be the conundrum with your support tactics. Maybe SolydXK might be easier to maintain since it is close to Mepis but based on Testing. Just a friendly nudge is all.

harry@biker:~
$ apt-cache policy pepperflashplugin-nonfree
pepperflashplugin-nonfree:
  Installed: 1.1
  Candidate: 1.1
  Version table:
 *** 1.1 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/contrib i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ apt-cache policy chromium
chromium:
  Installed: 31.0.1650.63-1
  Candidate: 31.0.1650.63-1
  Version table:
 *** 31.0.1650.63-1 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: biker Kernel: 3.12-6.towo-siduction-686-pae i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-13_386-full Luddite 01 June 2013
Machine:   System: manda product: Intel powered classmate PC version: Gen 1.5L
           Mobo: N/A model: N/A Bios: American Megatrends version: CM94515A.86A.0024.2008.0715.1716 date: 07/15/2008
CPU:       Single core Intel Core CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3191.99 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.14.5 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@53.3hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.2.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.12-6.towo-siduction-686-pae
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: ec00 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: eth1 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 63.3GB (51.3% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: KingSpec_KSD size: 63.3GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 59G used: 31G (55%) fs: ext2 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 64.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 110 Uptime: 47 min Memory: 294.2/2015.1MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.2.45) inxi: 1.9.17 

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2136"
linktext was:"http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2136"
====================================
rust collector
I find rox-filer, and roxterm great when I have to dpkg -i something, as you can drag and drop the file to the terminal.
However, it also puts it in ' ' s which I have to remove. but it is nicer than trying to type something in.

Or, if you use the terminal, you can use"tab" to get to the file you want. it is a very good help some times.

For example: start typing:

/home/username/D then tab, and it will find Downloads, or Documents, or Desktop....and so on. so you type /home/username/ Downl 'tab' and it will go to ~/Downloads... repeat for the next step:

/home/username/Downloads/goo 'tab' and you will probably end up at ~/Downloads/google-chrome-837748383737283938373627284955unfenefjwgvkeurbwei_not-quite stable.deb

It might be worth experimenting with, as it doesn't allow typos, but it will let you use a package with a similar name, if you don't read the whole thing.
Silent Observer
Wow, RC, that's a heck of a feature that I had no idea was there... __{{emoticon}}__ I'll have to give it a try; my experience with terminals is limited to Konsole in MEPIS, DOS 3.31 through 6.0 (exlcuding 4) and the DOS command line windows in various versions of Windows since 95 (3.0 and 3.1 didn't have DOS in a window, as I recall -- couldn't yet handle re-entrant calls in the DOS substrate).

Roky, I don't know anything about Solyd, but if it's a KDE/Plasma desktop with a somewhat newer kernel than the 2.7.something in MEPIS, Testing repos, plus an update notifier like MEPIS has (ora background, root-level updater would be even better), it might be tempting. Of course, I'm presently trying to figure an affordable way to put a usable version of Windows (Vista or preferably 7) back on that eMachine (which, according to his mother whose machine it was, never came with a recovery DVD, and was wiped at MEPIS install because it was so badly corruuped), at least as a dual boot, because the teen primary user insists on wanting to play Windows games (mostly pirated via a torrent by his friend/roommate, who seems to have ignored my request not to do that from here because of IP tracing concerns), and many/most of them either don't work in Wine or don't work in Wine under MEPIS (I can't usually tell which is the case, though a Platinum rating in AppDB and not working on that machine strongly suggests MEPIS has too old a kernel).

I put antiX and Chrome on that machine rather than Chromium and the pepperflashplugin package because pepperflashplugin still won't work in MEPIS, and Google Chrome is a lot less work to deal with than Chromium and pepperflashplugin -- and the less often I have to mess with the antiX install on that machine the better, hence use of Wheezy. I'm pretty sure Grandma doesn't care who can see what Facebook flash games she plays...
jdmeaux1952
Running as"root" is like giving a 16 yr old boy a 1971 Mustang Mach I; seems like a good idea at the time, but the damage that can be done.

I've re-installed so many OS on PC's for other people, it's not funny. Rather than follow directions to clean up a hard drive (use such-and-such program to clean-up), they try to do it manually. And I'll admit I've done it too.