0day
Is antix 13.2 out of date? Supported until? Thanks.
SamK
0day wrote:Is antix 13.2 out of date?
13.2 is the current release of antiX. The next version is being worked on but is only in the alpha stage and currently having its bugs fixed.
dolphin_oracle
13.2, since you can use either wheezy or jessie repos, should receive updates for quite a while yet.
KrunchTime
IMO it's out-of-date if you decide to track Testing/Unstable. Performing a dist-upgrade after a fresh install (tracking Testing) about an hour ago took approximately 30 minutes. However, the upgrade went without incident. On two older laptops, I had to run dist-upgrade two/three times to complete the upgrade.
rokytnji
Is antix 13.2 out of date?
SHHHH. My AntiX 11 testing 3 install may hear that and get a insecurity complex.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-screenshots-94/debian-desktops-883752/page5.html#post5236866"
linktext was:"http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ost5236866"
====================================
coyotito
If what you need to work works its not outdated .. if some software is outdated you can compile or maybe a deb is available..

The Icewm desktop in 13.2 is absolutely impressive - better than running Xfce in my view.
Wish there was a way of carrying it over to next release..

I tried dist-upgrading this but it broke my system and a few progs did not work - I MUST HAVE eterm WITH MY CUSTOM (SPACE) PICS!!

seems it did not like the transition to systemd, anyway reinstalling and keeping to stable was easiest for me.

I even avoid using backports kernel as it pulls in updates that in my experience make the system unstable. Best to compile kernel from kernel.org and keep all libraries to stable version - at least if the goal is a stable desktop productivity system.

Roky, have you dist-upgraded that antix 11?
rokytnji
Roky, have you dist-upgraded that antix 11?
Of course. Sources List and such are posted in my link as well as video performance for a antique POG (piece of gear). I went into detail on what I did to keep from blowing that install away and keeping
it current.
KrunchTime
coyotito wrote:I even avoid using backports kernel as it pulls in updates that in my experience make the system unstable. Best to compile kernel from kernel.org and keep all libraries to stable version - at least if the goal is a stable desktop productivity system.
What packages have been updated from your past experience that have caused instability? In the past, I only pulled certain packages from the Backports repo, not the kernel. However, I am using the kernel from the Backports repo on my CrunchBang install (ASUS AIO ET2322) and antiX Stable install (ASUS Zenbook UX303LA) without any major issues. In fact, a newer xserver-xorg-video-intel package from the Backports repo fixed an intermittent boot hang issue on my ASUS AIO ET2322. I love the Backports repo for stable installs.