smaller
Hello everyone,

I downloaded AntiX 12 full and tried it out on an old notebook via USB boot. Everything worked, and it was much faster than Ubuntu 12. Happy with the results, I decided to install it to the HDD and replace the Ubuntu. The machine was a Fujitsu Lifebook B3020 (Centrino ULV 1.2G, 1G DDR RAM, 250G IDE HDD). It had Windows XP on C: (/dev/hda1, NTFS), AntiX was installed on /dev/hda5 (ext4), SWAP was on /dev/hda6. Grub was installed on /dev/hda5, and I used dd to extract the boot loader and used NTLDR to boot up---it worked perfectly with Ubuntu. But when I tried to boot AntiX, it failed---just blank screen.

Any idea what might be wrong and how to fixit?
male
grub needs to hda
coyotito
grub is supposed to install itself during install without config -?
I installed on a F Siemens laptop but something happened to grub, cant remember exactly what, menu was there but either xp or antix or both did not boot. so I'm trying Archbang now which is interesting (fast) but I want Debian/m12 because that gives me the apps I want (dict f.ex) easily

is there a howto somewhere on installing grub/syslinux/lilo from the live CD?
smaller
There wasn't much to configure during installation, except to choose between installing to MBR or not, use lilo or not (I tried both lilo options and none worked). I was concerned about AntiX screwing up my XP installation and don'twant to use the MBR option.
male
coyotito wrote:grub is supposed to install itself during install without config -?
Yes.
The TE has Dug configured by Installtaion on hda5.
HowTo Consult google.
male
@smaller
The grub takes to install on hda (sda) To the bootloader from XP To the menu of grub.

Lilo I do not talk!
anticapitalista
Site Admin
antiX does not give you a lilo option in its installer.

Since you do not have a linux bootloader, you will have to install to MBR.

What is NTLDR? and how did you configure it for Ubuntu?
coyotito
So the fix in both cases is to mount the partitions belonging to the installer and run grub-install from Live CD?

In my case grub did install as it should but did not work. I was in a hurry because i needed the xp instalation there and then so just deleted grub with xp CD.

OP should just fix grub from live cd, maybe if Msystem is still available?
male
The installer of the antiX installed GRUB to the MBR of 1.HDD (hda or sda).
Here, the XP boot loader will be overwritten.

If you want antiX (and GRUB), get rid of them, you should by one Wiederherstellungsdatentraeger (sorry) of the XP boot loader (NTLDR) feature.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
To fix grub, user can use an older version of antiX (antiX-M8.5 or earlier has msystem)
lucky9
smaller wrote:Hello everyone,

I downloaded AntiX 12 full and tried it out on an old notebook via USB boot. Everything worked, and it was much faster than Ubuntu 12. Happy with the results, I decided to install it to the HDD and replace the Ubuntu. The machine was a Fujitsu Lifebook B3020 (Centrino ULV 1.2G, 1G DDR RAM, 250G IDE HDD). It had Windows XP on C: (/dev/hda1, NTFS), AntiX was installed on /dev/hda5 (ext4), SWAP was on /dev/hda6. Grub was installed on /dev/hda5, and I used dd to extract the boot loader and used NTLDR to boot up---it worked perfectly with Ubuntu. But when I tried to boot AntiX, it failed---just blank screen.

Any idea what might be wrong and how to fixit?
Instructions here:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://bkpavan.wordpress.com/2008/04/02/how-to-boot-linux-using-windows-bootloader-xp/"
linktext was:"http://bkpavan.wordpress.com/2008/04/02 ... loader-xp/"
====================================

Go to the section that has:
To setup Windows bootloader to load Linux, we need to add an entry corresponding to Linux.