topic title: antivirus x antix
0day
A light antivirus with real-time protection x antix?
rokytnji
Why real time protection?

Because sophos and clam av are light but not real time.
jdmeaux1952
A lot depends on how you setup your browser. I use chromium" as is" AND I purposely visit some nasty sites to study malware, Trojans, and Rootkits behaviors. Although I have had my partition infected more than once, it has never been anything major. And if you know your system well, getting rid of them isn't that hard.

Like roky said, sophos and clam av are light and easy to utilize.
0day
I have installed BitDefender. I have to run as administrator? As root gives me 700 I / O errors.
To run Bitdefender: sudo bdgui or only bdgui?
Shay
There are two ways to run administrative applications in Linux. You can either switch to the super user (root) with the su command, or you can take advantage of sudo. How you do this will depend upon which distribution you use. Some distributions enable the root user (such as Fedora, Red Hat, openSuSE), while some do not (such as Ubuntu and Debian). There are pros and cons for each.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/306766:linux-101-introduction-to-sudo"
linktext was:"https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/3 ... on-to-sudo"
====================================
0day
Bitdefender is to be launched as root?
zpimp
do i really need av on linux?
@jdmeaux1952 how did you get infected on inux, i want to know what was the attack vector
i always thought you have to manually chmod and run the file
jdmeaux1952

^---- embedded YouTube-hosted video: https://www.youtube.com/3HY62oA1R6E

That will explain a few things about Linux and Viruses.
ChuangTzu
Important not to carry Windows mindset into Linux. Windows needs AV for many reasons, the least of which is that a large percentage of people use it.

Linux is more secure by design, has more eyes on the code and software therefore holes usually do not remain open as long as closed source programs, files do not have autonomous power like in Microsoft (yes, using sudo or su to run something is more secure, remember all the years Windows did not have a password for admin.), default is limited user because Linux was designed with multiple users compared to Windows which was designed for single user, Linux is not used by as many people in home use scenario so the reward/risk ratio is very low for threats (most companies/governments that run Linux know what they are doing and have boxes that are locked down, even most home users are more savvy then Windows users)---with Windows the reward/risk ratio is high therefore they target Windows. Many more reasons....

Therefore most home users of Linux are fine with no AV, better to secure your browser with (if Firefox) ublock origin, noscript, remove flash or use flashblock, cookie monster or cookie self destruct, have separate browser profiles for surfing and banking (or use a virtual machine for banking only), https everywhere etc... Most attacks on Linux will be through the browser because browser attacks can affect all OS's, however, they are still limited in damage potential because of how Linux is designed. Also recommend rkhunter to help look for root kits.

If you are using this for a server or business purposes then clamav is useful (if running an email server), along with rkhunter and chkrootkit. Most commercial AV is a type of malware and they are returning scans back to their database for advertising purposes etc...

Also a decent setup for UFW (firewall):all as root

ufw enable
ufw default deny
ufw deny ssh

In general his advice was ok, but his mindset is very Windows oriented.