topic title: antimaemo
endsormeans
Hiya everybody.
I'm new to the forums here...but not to antiX
currently I found the 1st and 3rd antiX 15 beta worked well with the designs of our development interests with maemo devices in mind.
Soooo...essentially I'm pretty much sitting on my hands now waiting for antiX to get out of beta so it can be adapted to our needs.
To cut through what I'm sure must seem vague ...yet without getting long winded.
In essence for the longest time our devel environments have been stultified by having to deal with antiquated conditions and increasingly frustrating conditions to boot.
For sure for the vet. and most certainly for the beginner.
For our maemo community it is about having our devel environs either painstakingly put together or trapped in cyclical release based distros. ...which is what we were ...trapped in antiquated Ubuntu ...or which at best needed virtualbox to run scratchbox instances
Happily we don't have to deal with that now.
We have altered adaptations of LMDE2Betsy, SOLYDX, and Siduction.
aptly named"maemo32","SOLYDmaemo", and"maemosid"
and soon variations on Bodhi and antiX 15.
Before continuing and writing a very long explanation here ..
I'll simply provide the link here where there IS the very long and thorough explanation __{{emoticon}}__

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567"
linktext was:"http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567"
====================================

and frankly this has been a very long topic elsewhere and quite a bit of work which was going on long before this particular thread.

Anyway...enough of all this...
In short ...finally I figured I probably should join your forum...
I'm a late joiner by nature __{{emoticon}}__
Just check my maemo sig for validation of that __{{emoticon}}__
It's nothing personal really ...just about how much time I have to spare...
I'm quite happy to have finally joined here...
and looking forward to antiX 15 very much
yours- endsormeans
BitJam
Welcome endsormeans!

I don't pretend to understand exactly what you are doing. It sounds like you are making a mission-specific respin of antiX (and several other distros). We've been developing a set of tools to make this as easy as possible, ranging from live-remaster, to iso-snapshot, to the less well publicized build-iso which is a fairly advanced script we use for making the antiX isos. I think it has been adapted to build the MX isos as well. I know at least one person (Eino) has used it to make his own music/musician oriented respin of antiX. If you want to maintain a respin over time and especially if you want to support different flavours or different architectures (32-bit, 64-bit), build-iso is probably the best tool for the job. If your goals are more modest then live-remaster and iso-snapshot are much easier to use.

We've also been working to try to make antiX boot on as many different BIOS computers as possible. We've added some basic UEFI support for the antiX-15 live system. There was no antiX-14 mostly because we were busy working on the new MX-14 distro which uses a lot of our tools and our basic framework. In the FOSS spirit, we have been trying to make it easy for others to build on what we've done.

I am curious about the small list of antiX-15"updates" which will impede your desires. I'm not in a position to make any promises but I would also be interested if there are things we can do that would help your effort.
endsormeans
Hiya Bitjam.
Essentially the specific Maemo Nokia Internet Tablet line ...the N.I.T. compromises the 770, n800, n810 and n900 device line.
Developing primarily consists of work via scratchbox. In short ..it has the singular bonus of being able to emulate the architecture (on a pc)"on-screen" of the devices ..enabling a safe environment to experiment and test. So a person without an actual physical device can still enjoy, test, play, and utilize the device on their pc.
There is of course other methods other tools, geany, netbeans, etc...
but they do not offer viewing the"results"...so to speak.

Back in the day...we did have versions like an altered Ubuntu Intrepid ...which were altered with maemo development in mind.
Fast forward ...and now to work with these antiquated altered distros we must use v.m.'s to utilize them. or utilize other methods.
After testing, implementing, and working with a variety of options..
I finally started resuscitating Esbox..essentially an Eclipse based program pertaining specifically to maemo development toolsets which once upon a time was used to (can be integrated directly with Eclipse as well) ease the time, difficulty (making it easy even for those completely unknowing of the maemo platforms, devices, even linux itself) in set up...and much more.
Eclipse/Esbox allows for the easy-click installations of scratchbox, platform sdk's, and a variety of plugins for work with the maemo platforms Pluthon (python), Mica, Qt, c, c++, and more. Pretty much everything needed in Eclipse/Esbox for maemo development.
the Eclipse variant Esbox is based on the older Eclipse Ganymede 3.4.2 ...but still ...surprisingly functional.
Long story as short as possible __{{emoticon}}__
The requirements that the host distros had to meet were some small few compatibilities ...the ability to cram as many tools as possible in under 4gb for easy live distro creation and distribution....and the distros in question to be rolling debian based distributions. I have no interest in seeing work buried yet again by cyclical releases after as little as 6 months.

LMDE2Betsy 32bit mate proved quite successful ..albeit ..there were consequently some potential updates which could undermine the maemo tools.

SOLYDX 32bit community edition..proved a better at being flawlessly compatible with maemo tools.

Siduction 32bit community edition ..also proved to function similarly to SOLYDX 32bit.

The odd man out ...Bodhi ..I'm currently working on ...isn't a rolling release per se...but the maemo community at large has had successes with implementing Bodhi and e16 and e17 as well as the EFL on devices and so hence I can only see it as being advantageous to have Bodhi as the host system to more easily..hm..."pull from" so to speak.

As far as antiX 15 is concerned...not only does it look favourable as a potential option..initial tests with beta 1 and 3 (so far) look good. How the final version works out may be another matter. I do see the allure for many who may be or need to do their development work on an older system...antiX fits perfectly in that niche...as well..interestingly ...I do see the possibility if not with the n800/n810 line, then possibly the n900..of running antiX on actual device. I'm aware that there isn't much in the way of embedded work going on here...but...if we can get debian, bodhi, arch, gentoo, and the list goes on...onto our devices...(I'm just shooting from the hip here __{{emoticon}}__ ) ...why not antiX? Fact is many maemo(ans) device users I'm sure would be absolutely fascinated with antiX's use of the umt-panel2 for GPRS/UMTS/3G connections....I mean there are alot of n900 users and future neo900 users..I'm sure who would find that alone interesting enough to look into trying to get antiX on our devices. I actually am surprised there is zero conversation about antiX on maemo talk...there has been a little on Mepis ..but I'm sure our members would find antiX to be intriguing a possibility on our devices.
And to just slightly twist topic some more here....by this fall we should have the neo900 ..which would most certainly look much more appealing to work in conjunction with many distros...I have been most curious about how applicable antiX may be to our device line...
Anyway as to your mention...yes indeed...
It may be that future direction of some of the rolling releases..including antiX..
will make for difficulties compatibility-wise with maemo development.
Hence the number of applicable distros.
All one's eggs in one's basket makes no sense eh? __{{emoticon}}__
But I do hope whatever difficulties which may arise ...can be figured out...can be resolved quickly.
I'm aware of antiX's live-remaster, iso-snapshot, and build-iso...haven't mucked with them around with them...I figure the live-remaster and build-iso are somewhat similar I imagine to the old remastersys and the relatively new Systemback in a lot of ways...so I figure it will be pretty smooth in that regard.. build-iso should prove to be fascinating to play with...
And concerning antiX's continuous small updates..well..that would depend how long I can hold off such updates (so I'm not doing them daily) ..weeks I'm sure...perhaps a few months at worst... before releasing an updated variant.
For example the siduction"maemosid" variant live iso needs to be kept current for those who wish to download it..so once every few months a freshly updated ...current version will be available.
So ..yeah..anyway I'll end here or I'm writing a book with chapters __{{emoticon}}__
eric52
To clarify: you want to use antiX to hold scratchbox to hold maemo development on a wide range of resources. From the website, scratchbox is largely specific to maemo and is Debian-oriented. Thus, it would seem that antiX is very appropriate to your purpose. Confirmed? I'm not sure why, under the described circumstances, vigorous updating would be needed. But hey, if you're up for it, go for it. In the meantime, it sounds like a functional platform would be a dramatic improvement for you and a sensible first step. Let us know how that goes, and welcome, endsormeans.