Snapperhead
Hi all,

Long time linux user (slackware in '98) but full time user since Mepis first came out. Used that until it slowly died and have tried many other until systemd hell arose - I don't want 175+ processes running with half of em no idea what they are and how they are linked.

Anyway that preamble out the way I'm glad I found anti-x, and happy to learn the Mepis dude was also involved with MX. My issue with steam is it installs ok from the metapackages (downloads all the 32 bit libraries etc) but games say they need opengl4 or higher and we're stuck on 3 due to Deb stable upstream.

I searched the forums and found"...You will also want the latest opengl package" (twice) and that it was in testing. I couldn't find it so disabled all stable repos, enabled all testing, and did dist upgrade. Same issue. Tried installing fglrx (radeon 7790 card) and got a black screen on reboot. Enabled the -verbose boot parameter to see what was going on and it froze just after getting a network connection so I rebooted and kept ctrl-c'ing as it was doing it's thing hoping to end up at a shell (which I did).Tryed to run startx and it said it couldn't find the screen. Ended up doing a reinstall after trying to copy an old xorg.conf file and it still didn't work.

How on earth do I get to opengl 4? (there was one thread that ended"but isn't metapackage installer meant to take care of that?" or words to that effect but it had no replies) I'm not really a gamer so it's not essential, I'd just like steam for when my nephew comes over or when I have an hour or so to kill.

Cheers fellas.