topic title: Annoying buzz
rmcellig
I installed the latest MX-14.4 and love it. There is one thing that I find annoying and I think I noticed it in previous versions. If I press the delete key for example if I am in the Application finder (alt-F2) to the end, I get a loud buzzing noise. How can I turn this off?
Jerry
If you install PulseAudio, there is a slider in its volume control application (pavucontrol) for System sounds on the tab Playback that is supposed to cover this--though I never tried it. May have to log out or maybe even reboot to get the change.
rmcellig
I just went into the Audio Mixer and lowered the beep slider all the way down. At least now when it beeps it's not the annoying kind of beep I was experiencing before.
chrispop99
Go to Settings>Session and Startup>Application Autostart>Add, then in the Command section type

Code: Select all

xset b off
Fill in what you like in the Name field, then OK out.

Reboot, and the annoying beep will be gone.

Chris
BitJam
I blacklist the snd_pcsp module. It used to be named"pcspkr". You can do this by creating a file /etc/modprobe.d/pc-speaker.conf which contains the line:

Code: Select all

blacklist snd-pcsp
In fact, I suggest we add this file to the default configuration. This solution disables the annoying beeping in the console. I think it may disabled it in X as well.
wildstar84
I avoid PulseAudio and use just Alsa, always heard there are lots of issue w/it and don't have any use for it.
skidoo
I hope it will _NOT_ wind up disabled in the default config. I utilize beep (perhaps annoying, but distinct and attention-grabbing) in several long-running scripts, to let me know when the script has completed or is awaiting user input.

If it's changed in the default (live) config, I would need to unpack / edit live-init in order to restore that bit of expected linux-standard functionality?
fatmac
skidoo wrote:.... expected linux-standard functionality?
This has been disabled in nearly every distro I've tried - it used to be enabled back in 1999/2000'ish in only some distros from my experience of distro hopping. It certainly put me off of using a particular distro, if it was enabled.

However preferences aside, maybe have a startup function to re enable it for those few people that want it.
Last edited by fatmac on 29 Mar 2015, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
male
Stimulates me on this beep.
Because he's nerves penetrating.

Thank you @BitJam for the tip.
Here on the ThinkPad x40 and antiX15 it was still the"pcspkr" which was to blacklist.
Thus, the console"is idle". __{{emoticon}}__

What still beeps, the start with the publication of the Grub menu.
No setting in the bios helps.
What is responsible in antiX15?
Jon_J
Jon_J
male wrote:What still beeps, the start with the publication of the Grub menu.
No setting in the bios helps.
What is responsible in antiX15?
I don't know if this will help, but in MX 14.3 there is a"beep" at grub start.
It was very loud on my netbook and I disabled it. There is a line in this file:
/ etc/default/grub (it's a text file)
Near the top is a line that you can uncomment.

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
# GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

I think you'll need to run as root"update-grub" without the quotes, after you edit the above file.
male
Hello @Jon_J,
thank you so much for this simple solution! Image
Everywhere I have sought, only there not ...