dieselbenz
I've tried installing antiX and Mepis 7.0 on this notebook with the subject-line processor. I have forced it to install once (after 10x+ tries) but once loaded it continues to give error messages during bootup and then locks up.

Is this a known issue or a problem with my computer (I've tried four different memory chips/configurations), or just God testing my patience?

Can't believe Mepis won't work on an AMD, though I do recall some posts suggesting that in the past. Using AMD rather than Intel is"sticking it to the man" as much as using Linux rather than Microsoft is!

For what it is worth, I am using very same computer, running PCLOS 2007 (flawlessly) and in fact am using it (wireless, in my garage right now) to send this.

Any cheat-code workarounds?

Don
eriefisher
I have it running on a AMD Athlon 3200+ desktop and a AMD Turion64 1.8 without issue. What are the error messages you get?
dieselbenz
ata2.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen

ata2.00 cmd a0/01:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00/a0 tag 0 cdb 0x12 data 96 in

.... then same thing except data 128 in

---

Well this time it continued after the error messages (maybe I was more patient this time). But having to wait the two or three minutes to get past the errors isn't acceptable.

I will let it continue (this is using a Mepis 7.0 CD) to see if it loads completely, then maybe try another install using antiX.
dieselbenz
dieselbenz wrote: I will let it continue (this is using a Mepis 7.0 CD) to see if it loads completely, then maybe try another install using antiX.
Locked up after the pccard: CardBus card inserted into slot 1 (running from Live CD).
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I think it is to do with the cd/dvd driver.
Unfortunately some cd/dvd drives give that error with the 2.6.22 kernel.
Can you try installing from a usb stick or a usb cd drive. Then you can install a newer kernel (from sidux) and then use the original cd/dvd drive.
dieselbenz
anticapitalista wrote:I think it is to do with the cd/dvd driver.
Unfortunately some cd/dvd drives give that error with the 2.6.22 kernel.
Can you try installing from a usb stick or a usb cd drive. Then you can install a newer kernel (from sidux) and then use the original cd/dvd drive.
I got antiX 7.2 installed using the apci=off cheat code. Still have those initial error messages, though.

The wireless is kicking my butt right now. I have the Windows drivers installed (ndiswrapper), the SSID specified, the WEP (restricted) encryption code in, and it still isn't seeing the network. Had this problem before using Mepis distros with another laptop, so it isn't a bug, it is just my not remembering how I worked around this last time. I shall get it, I am sure.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Glad you got it up and running dieselbenz.

I'm sure you'll get it sorted out.
You may still wish to install a more up-to-date sidux kernel.
See this thread for new (upcoming) features in antiX.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/smxi-script-on-antix-t864.html"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/smxi-script ... -t864.html"
====================================
dieselbenz
anticapitalista wrote:Glad you got it up and running dieselbenz.

I'm sure you'll get it sorted out.
You may still wish to install a more up-to-date sidux kernel.
See this thread for new (upcoming) features in antiX.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/smxi-script-on-antix-t864.html"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/smxi-script ... -t864.html"
====================================
Got the wireless working -- and moved stuff to a different laptop (the old Toshiba 4015CDS that I used to run antiX on). The HP I had been using earlier today occasionally shuts itself down when it gets hot, so figured I'd put that one back onto the shelf until I can get that issue sorted out. Just for clarity, I had the below wireless issue on both laptops.

The Mepis Network wouldn't keep my wireless settings. Used Ceni (via the Config-system menu) and that worked fine. Writing this right now from the Toshiba, sitting out in the garage, connected wireless. __{{emoticon}}__

By the way, the Toshiba didn't give those CD/DVD-related error messages I was getting on the HP laptop.

Next, I shall do an update.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I knew you would get it sorted!

The errors, I'm 99% convinced, is to do with the cd/dvd drive. Some cd/dvd players on some machines, give that error.
I got it on an old PIII I was given with a cd and dvd drive. I unplugged the dvd drive, but kept the cd one and no libata errors appeared.
Farmer Mike
This may be a day late and a dollar short, but I've got a HP XH485 like yours and found a way to fix it. I found these have an odd BIOS and handle IRQs differently. I got it half way working with acpi=off in the GRUB boot parameters, but the sound would reverberate endlessly. Somewhere on the web I found another parameter that helped (pci=usepirqmask), but not quite there. I continued playing with it and found a combination that did work fully; the final parameters are as follows:
noacpi pci=usepirqmask

Considering the headaches I had with mine, hope this helps you.
Mike

Update: After further tinkering, the laptop still wouldn't arrange the interrupts in a repeatable manner. I'm now using the following and hoping it works:

acpi=off irqpoll
Last edited by Farmer Mike on 28 Mar 2010, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.
rokytnji
Thanks for the post Mike. Anybody on the net will benefit from your input. Might get us some new AntiX users to boot.