worktowork
Posts 0
worktowork
Dear ,
Please help me with English. How is true in English?

I chose a profession the technician-technologist because this profession is suitable for my character more. I love mathematics, to analyze and do calculations, to receive results. It is interesting to me as products and details on different machines and the equipment are made. I want that our domestic production was advanced, and our industrial output was qualitative and cheap.
English one of popular languages at communication. Certainly, many producers of the machine-building equipment try to transfer technical documentation to Russians language, but English is necessary for the solution of non-staff situations. Not always hi-tech industrial the equipment has the translation into Russian.Technical support usually happens in English.
Last edited by Guest on 08 Jun 2014, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
jdmeaux1952
English is one of the most difficult languages to learn because of all the variations that the language has. And local colloquialisms sometimes make it even harder. In Britain, the part of the vehicle that covers the engine is called a"bonnet"; In Americam it is called a"hood". Most people learn British English.

Here is Louisiana we may say that we are"going to run across town" and then"get down". That means we are"going to drive across town and go visit someone". We are not going to jog across town and go dancing. (My daughter-in-law was from a little town in Idaho, and it took her two years to really understand what my son was telling her sometimes. He met her at graduate school in Seattle, Washington.)

I use a free translation page to help me with other languages.
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.freetranslation.com"
linktext was:"http://www.freetranslation.com"
====================================
chrispop99
There are two things that make the English language hard to learn. The first is the fact that it has been formed from three other languages that are very different from each other. The second is due to the way that sentences can be put together in different ways, yet still make sense. (You can't do that in German, for example.) As a mathematician, used to to a very structured, rigid system, learning English is going to be a challenge!

Good luck with it; there is an English saying 'Practice makes perfect'.

Chris
anticapitalista
Site Admin
IMO learning English gets more and more difficult as you advance because the standard rules a student is often taught at lower levels of English are sometimes broken in real English.

For example, if a student says,"I be from Italy" - teacher says this is wrong even though some people in the West of England speak like that. Another example,"She don't, do she"? in parts of Eastern England is spoken, but would be a mistake if a foreigner says it.

At the beginning a learner can get away with weak structure for a while, so long as the vocabulary is not too limited for basic conversation.
Most people in England would understand if someone says:
" Yesterday, go Cambridge, today visit Oxford and tomorrow see Queen house London."
If the equivalent was said in Greek, I would not be understood at all.

Anyhow, good luck with learning English and yes,"Practice makes perfecr"
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
For example, if a student says,"I be from Italy" - teacher says this is wrong even though some people in the West of England speak like that. Another example,"She don't, do she"? in parts of Eastern England is spoken
And then you arrive in Glasgow on a Saturday night:

url was:"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0C-B5-y6-I"
linktext was:"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0C-B5-y6-I"

(By the way, one must never start a sentence with"and")

Hi Dunc __{{emoticon}}__
Last edited by Guest on 08 Jun 2014, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
Am I writing true in english ? How is true?
"True" is one of those words with several meanings, (and if you are a politician it actually means the complete opposite) .

I think most people would use the word"correct", hence your sentence would be constructed thus:

Am I writing English correctly? How correct is it?

A proper noun like"English" always uses a capital letter.

H.T.H.
jdmeaux1952
Alanarchy wrote:
(...)And then you arrive in Glasgow on a Saturday night:

url was:"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0C-B5-y6-I"
linktext was:"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0C-B5-y6-I"

(...)
I must be watching WAY TOO MANY British shows online. I understood every bit of that video.
rokytnji
Hell, just the word up will drive you to the crazy house

This two-letter word in English has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that word is UP.' It is listed in the dictionary as an [adv], [prep], [adj], [n] or [v].

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP?

At a meeting, why does a topic come UP? Why do we speak UP, and why are the officers UP for election (if there is a tie, it is a toss UP) and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report? We call UP our friends, brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver, warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. We lock UP the house and fix UP the old car.

At other times, this little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite and think UP excuses.

To be dressed is one thing but to be dressed UP is special.

And this UP is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is blocked UP.

We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night. We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP!

To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look UP the word UP in the dictionary. In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4 of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions.

If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with (UP to) a hundred or more.

When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out, we say it is clearing UP. When it rains, it soaks UP the earth. When it does not rain for awhile, things dry UP. One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP, for now . . . My time is UP!

Oh . . . One more thing: What is the first thing you do in the morning and the last thing you do at night?
U
P!
nadir
Posts 0
nadir
chrispop99 wrote: The second is due to the way that sentences can be put together in different ways, yet still make sense. (You can't do that in German, for example.)
I don't think that is true. But then i am not that sure what you mean with"putting sentences together". If you mean the structure of one sentence, then it isn't true. If you mean the structure of several sentences, the way they relate to each other, i still think it isn't true. If you mean something different, it might be right.

And i don't think that English is very hard to learn, compared to other languages. One will not be able to know all the idoms without speaking it every day, and for years or decades, of course, but that is true for any language (As a proof that English ain't outstanding hard to learn: If 5% of the Germans would be able to speak and write proper German, we would be a blessed nation. Even the middle class is only able to gabble. Ya know: the people who write for papers and magazines or those who write books, teachers, doctors, etc., that is what i call the middle class. Again: I got the feeling that it's like that in other countries too. Say the ones where people speak English).

Watching videos or films with subtitles helps a lot, urbandictionary,
url was:"http://www.urbandictionary.com/"
linktext was:"http://www.urbandictionary.com/"
, can help with unusual expressions. Setting the local language of the computer to English is also helpful, but you don't need much words to speak about computing).
chrispop99
What I meant was that the order of words in an English sentence can be altered within a range of acceptable parameters, yet the meaning will remain the same.

It was actually a German who was struggling to learn English that made me realise that not all languages permitted that.

Chris
nadir
Posts 0
nadir
He probably didn't speak German very well.
"Das ist nicht so dramatisch"
"Das ist so dramatisch nicht"
"So dramatisch ist das nicht"
All 3 versions have the very same meaning (The second version is rather unusual, only used by people with higher education, and old-school ones, but not wrong).

The structure of a sentence can be very different in English or German.
"Ich gehe jetzt nach Hause" is the German version (jetzt means now).
"I will go home how" is correct in English.
"Ich gehe nach Hause jetzt" is wrong in German (And, like said above, most Germans speak like that, these days, and got no fecking clue that it is simply wrong).
You could also say"Jetzt gehe ich nach Hause" or"Now i will go home" (can you?), but then the problem (of Germans not being able to speak German) is not existent. It does show that both languages got the option to alter the strucuture of a sentence too, like the examples above.

To buy a new smartphone at wallmart none of that is needed. So most assume they do know at least one language well (and look down on the immigrants who usually speak 2 or 3 languages or even more).
jdmeaux1952
I marvel at you Europeans knowing 3 or 4 languages. Most people here in the US need all of 12 years or more to study their own native language. And still get it wrong.

__{{emoticon}}__