thinkpada21
Ok, I finally installed 7.2. Sound worked fine. I did"apt-get update; apt-get upgrade". Sound is no longer working. There were 194 updates that I am trying to make sense of.

In the meantime, anyone have some idea what might be going wrong?
eriefisher
You might want to check your mixer settings or even run aslaconf.
OU812
Did you upgrade via a terminal? If so, then upgrade via synaptic to fix it. (It happened to me once.)

john
impuwat
Same thing happened to me recently. Installed 7.2 and sound worked perfectly. Upgraded to Sid and no sound. Instead of working with alsa I just re-installed and then after apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade from terminal I had no sound again. Restored it with alsa and alsamixer but still have strange pops and static occasionally when no music is playing and speakers are on.
thinkpada21
Ok, I first tried"alsa reload" (after stopping mpd), then ran alsamixer to adjust the levels. Did not help.

I then launched Synaptic and did"Reload","Mark All Upgrades", then"Apply". Still no sound.

Tried alsa reload and alsamixer again. Still no sound.

I guess the next step is to re-install, then do the upgrade through Synaptic, instead of with apt-get.

Edit: Also, I did not switch to Sid. I simply installed 7.2, tried various things, then did the"apt-get update; apt-get upgrade".
Jerry
Did you run alsaconf?
thinkpada21
Thanks."alsaconf" did the trick. Strange though, the first time I tried it, it listed"Sound Fusion CS46xx", which is what I thought was in my laptop. Did not work. I tried it, again, and selected"Legacy ISA". After several minutes, it declared"Sound Fusion CS4522" and finished. Now it works.

Edit: meant to say it declared"Sound Fusion CS4622", not 4522. Anyway, just strange it would only work as"Legacy ISA".
Last edited by thinkpada21 on 06 Jun 2008, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.
Piedie
thinkpada21 wrote:Thanks."alsaconf" did the trick. Strange though, the first time I tried it, it listed"Sound Fusion CS46xx", which is what I thought was in my laptop. Did not work. I tried it, again, and selected"Legacy ISA". After several minutes, it declared"Sound Fusion CS4522" and finished. Now it works.
Well, I had the same sort of thing. No sound. Glad I went to this forum again __{{emoticon}}__ . I ran alsaconf, it recognized my sound card but no sound. Stubborn as I am __{{emoticon}}__ I ran it again. My boxes were on. I heard a tick while alsaconf was running. Again my card was recognized. I chosed it again and now WOW: sound is back. Thank you erie __{{emoticon}}__