A newbie's view of unexpected issues

GrayKing
Many of these are solved -- but my way which may not be generally applicable

Note: I'm reviewing 64bit base install

1) As in my 'shout': no 'vi' easily fixed with link to busybox -- but maybe this should be addressed
2) I didn't expect busybox to be available -- don't know if this is documented -- haven't seen it
3) No general GUI level package manager, as suggested I installed 'synaptic' via apt-get
4) Synaptic then showed up in the fluxbox application menu under preferences (odd place) and
was not functional -- no pkexec although the synaptic-pkexc was in /usr/bin (fixed my way with
a link to sudo and a NOPASSWD in sudoers).
5) gparted also has a -pkexec named script -- havn't tried to see if it works.

Further note: initially I tried the 32 bit full install -- but it had a major issue --non-functional netork connection -- giving meassge tha the 300 byte test send failed -- also tried wireless since my sytem
has both -- continuous scan -- nothing ever found. Note the is a multiboot system with severl different distrobutions all of which found at least a wired or wireless network.

I then shifted to 64 bit -- base install -- network worked with no problems. I have not tried the 64 bit full.

Review still in progress .. the system being used is a Dell Vostro 470 with 4GB ram and 8 cores (16 threads) -- about 3 years old.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
antiX-base is meant to be a 'base' so there will be many apps 'missing'. Maybe you should install the full version instead if you want more apps eg vim, synaptic and gparted are all installed in full version and appear in the menus (except vim, but it is installed - nothing to do with busybox version)
GrayKing
I would prefer not to have to do that -- likely I will be removing what I feel are unneeded apps in the base (like anything printer related).
Dave
Base is not really targeted for a new user as far as I know... it is more for the weathered user where core is for the not so faint of heart.

Anyway I am not sure why the 32 bit full did not like your network hardware but before trying the 64 bit full you should post an inxi -F of your working base so that we can see your hardware and the working driver. My guess is that the extra drivers in full might be conflicting with the needed driver in base, but it is also possible that it is missing altogether.

The other alternative is to compare the dpkg --list outputs and install (via synaptic or apt-get) what you see as missing in base that is in the full version.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
For pkexec to work with synaptic and gparted .desktop files (Debian upstream), you need to install policykit-1 (already installed in full)

apt-get install policykit-1
GrayKing
Thanks for the info

Have another oddity ... I running fluxbox with rox as the desktop

in rox you can customise tyhe menu for directories -- I commonly do this. I have found out it doesn' work.
what appears to be the problem is that the rox-session is started up before the user environment -- somewhere??

Being started this way to allow switching desktops I persume. But it breaks other thins.

In order to get the user PATH (the home bin) known to rox I've had to killall rox in the fluxbox startup file
and restart 'rox'.
Dave
Do you know what of the user session needs to be started before rox in order for this to work? The window manager is already started before rox as is the bash shell for the user.
GrayKing
Maybe ... but I first put the new PATH in the startup for fluxbox -- it didn't effect the problem - I logged off to check and even rebooted -- same thing.

I next tried killall on rox and restart .. that worked. The issue I suspect is when rox session was started.
My entries that worked were;

export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH
sudo killall rox
rox -S &
exec fluxbox

I get a momentary gray background before the new rox paints the desktop -- but that is a one off during the login sessen please wait- not a real problem.
GrayKing
Oh another oddity: I had to install the dev package for the headers for C .. even though gcc was installed.
You cannot compile much without #include <stdio.h> and several others -- just seems odd to have gcc with no includes.

Please ignore my bad typing ... had a stroke last year -- blind in one eye and partially disabled left hand.
GrayKing
Oh another minor one. I guess is a debian 'thing' -- /bin/sh is linked to 'dash'. Caused a minor
issue with some code that expected features that 'dash' doesn't have -- I changed to point to 'bash' and all is well.

Since 'bash' is going to be installed anyway as the defualt user shell it seems odd to have 'sh' point to 'dash'.
GrayKing
Maybe I should have stated clearly. My goal with 'antix' is as small a system as can do some processing for a project I'm working on. The results will be passed to many others in the form of an installable small distro.
Hence the rather odd requirements of building C packages and small size. Much of the provided executeables
will be provided via rox menus as needed including a Help facility for their review.