Silent Observer
A couple weeks ago, I installed antiX 13.2 64-bit on my Core2Quad system, in order to be able to use Google Chrome and Pepper Flash (a growing number of online game sites are rejecting the most current non-Pepper Flash for Linux as"out of date"). I found, however, that Java games don't want to run under Chrome on that system -- and I think I found out why. I was looking at the online help and found a link about"why can't I use Chrome on Mac OSX?" -- apparently, even when downloaded for 64-bit architecture, the Chrome browser is a 32-bit system, and is incapable of using 64-bit Java.

Now, there's a package available that will install the Pepper Flash from Google Chrome into the free/open Chromium browser; would doing so resolve the 32-bit vs. 64-bit conflict and allow me to play both Flash and Java games in the same browser in 64-bit antiX, or will I have to install 32-bit antiX to do that? In other words, is Chromium compiled as a true 64-bit application, and if so, can it use the Pepper Flash from (presumed) 32-bit Google Chrome and still run 64-bit Java?

If no one knows for sure, I can find out without great effort, but if I need to reinstall antiX to 32-bit, I'd rather not bother to grab Chromium first...
dolphin_oracle
I believe that under the hood, chromium and chrome basically match. chrome is chromium, but with some proprietary stuff lopped on.

if you enable multi-arch, I would think you could use 32 bit java as well, which may be more the solution you are looking for. I know I have both 32 bit and 64 bit java installed on my windows media pc. I've never had the occasion to need java on the antix pc.

if you could provide a link to an example, I would wouldn't mind experimenting some, as I also would be interested in the answer to this question.
Silent Observer
D.O., try playing Battleship on pogo.com (against a robot, don't bother a human) with Chrome/chromium on a 64-bit install with update-sun-jre package from the repos. You'll get a message that says you have to have the latest version of Java, despite going directly from there to javatester.org and verifying that you have the most current version there is. I don't know if that's Pogo rejecting Chrome, Pogo rejecting anything with Linux (though I can play Java games there with SeaMonkey 64-bit on the same 64-bit antiX 13.2 -- kernel 3.14.1 if that matters), or Pogo being schizophrenic (since I can play Flash games with Chrome -- they reject SeaMonkey with the latest version of non-Pepper Flash for Linux).

I'd just like to be able to play all the games I like to play without pissing off my Dutch friend by having to switch browsers and waste a lot of time sitting through extra ads. If it takes switching to 32-bit antiX to do it, that's perfectly fine (but my Athlon XP system won't do the job, because it can't run Pepper -- no SSE2 command set). She was trying to tell me I needed to switch back to Windows, but I'm not going there because the only Windows I have access to is XP, and it's not safe on the 'net any more.

FWIW, I downloaded Java 8 SE direct from Sun/Oracle, but I can't figure out how to tell Chrome to use that as my JRE instead of the system-installed Java 7u55. I know which file to point to, but I don't see what file to change to a symlink to make Chrome use the downloaded Java. Until I know how to change the link, I don't know if J8SE will work at all.
dolphin_oracle
well, I've been messing around, and I can play the battleship game in iceweasel 29, but not in chromium. (antix 64 bit). I ended up using the icedtea java plugin.

I can't install the 32 bit version due to a conflict with a backports library.
Silent Observer
Yep, that's what I get -- SeaMonkey (based on Mozilla, just like iceweasel) can play the Java games, Chrome/chromium can play the Flash games, but not the other way around. I can't test whether this is specific to 64-bit without reinstalling; my Athlon XP (and more so my Pentium II) can't install Chrome w/ Pepper, because Pepper requires SSE2.
dolphin_oracle
I don't think its specific to 64 bit. I get the same result with 32 bit MX-14 and chromium. the java stuff won't launch.
Silent Observer
Grrr. That makes it seem as if Google is intentionally blocking their competitor's stuff. Does anyone have Java working in any version of Chrome? Well, it seems it works in Windows... :p
dolphin_oracle
Yep, I tried with chrome on windows today at work and it worked fine (I thought it wasn't for a second, took a long time to load). I think the sandboxing chrome does gives linux java fits for some reason.
Silent Observer
Not enough that Linux sandboxes Java (or Java sandboxes itself)? Anyway, I'd have to call that a massive, dangerous bug, that java apps simply don't work in Chrome for Linux. Seems that would be up to either Google or the chromium upstream team to fix on high priority...