dirkd
Yesterday I did a full upgrade of my Antix 15 system and I sorely regret it. I had Testing repo's enabled.

[*] I lost sound in firefox (just saw some possible remedies in another post that I have yet to try).
[*] I use three different keyboard layouts. Those are gone too. I tried to get them back via 'configure system' in the control center, but several 'locale' settings seem to be broken.
[*] Desktop seems to behave differently. Before upgrading, I could change workspaces by mouse-scrolling on the desktop, now
[*] Worst of all, my wifi-settings have become unstable. Half of the time I don't get an IP address from my router. I can't set up a fixed IP anymore, or I don't have a DNS-server configured (when using DHCP). For more than a year I haven't had a single wifi problem: booted the system and in less than a minute I was online. A warm reboot doesn't fix the problem. A cold reboot sometimes does.
[*] Half an hour ago Firefox disappeared without warning (I was connected to facebook). The whole desktop stopped responding. Couldn't even logoff/logon, or restart conky.

In case someone asks: yes, I suspect systemd crept in, but I don't understand much about that so I'm not even sure.

Any suggestions about repairing my system?
rokytnji
Any suggestions about repairing my system?
How I bailed my system upgrade out

post47421.html#p47421

But I run Jessie stable and in / etc/apt/preferences.d/00sysystemd I have

Code: Select all

Package: *systemd*
Pin: origin""
Pin-Priority: -1
To keep systemd from creeping in on dist upgrade unless I give permission by unpinning it.

Good Luck with it. I assume a good md5sum was done before a burning media and installing AntiX 15. That is something I religiously do to keep ghosts out of my machines. __{{emoticon}}__
dirkd
I have the same 00systemd configuration file, so maybe I'm still systemd free.

In the mean time most problems have been repaired. All of them were caused by configuration files that were overwritten without my realising so.

The only problems that really bother me still are the unstable wifi configuration and not being able to share a printer with Windows.

Here's my theory for the wifi. Is it possible that the timeout for the dhcp-client has been reduced? That could explain why dns-servers are often missing. Although my wifi signal has proven to be stable, it's not really strong. In the past I could often see 4,5 or more dhcp-discovery cycles when booting before a dhcp-offer was detected. Now the system boots up so fast that I can't even read the messages flashing by. But alas, often without a working internetconnection.

If a shorter time-out is indeed the cause, how do I configure a longer one?
rokytnji
Not sure but

Code: Select all

harry@biker:~
$ locate dhcp-client 
/usr/share/doc/isc-dhcp-client
/usr/share/doc/isc-dhcp-client/NEWS.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/isc-dhcp-client/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/isc-dhcp-client/copyright
/var/cache/apt/archives/isc-dhcp-client_4.3.1-6+deb8u2_i386.deb
/var/lib/dpkg/info/isc-dhcp-client.conffiles
/var/lib/dpkg/info/isc-dhcp-client.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/isc-dhcp-client.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/isc-dhcp-client.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/isc-dhcp-client.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/isc-dhcp-client.preinst
You can use the locate command to find the file you think you might need to adjust the time on.
/etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf

maybe? Like I said. I do not really know.