brucehohl
My first post so firstly, many thanks for this excellent low resource Linux distro.

In antiX 16.1 the default GRUB boot parameter of VGA=788 caused some unwanted results ("fix" explained below) so my question is why is this parameter included by default?

I installed antiX 16.1 on to a qemu disk image using KVM. With the default boot parameter of VGA=788 at startup my VM window was always sized to 1280x720 but the antiX desktop was sized to 1280x768, thus I had to scroll up and down to see the entire desktop.

I"fixed" this by using arandr to create a screenlayout file for the"default" video hardware to specify a screen resolution of 1280x720:
Menu > Outputs > default > Resolution = 1280x720
Menu > Layout > Apply
Menu > Layout > Save As ~/.screenlayout/default_1280x720.sh

I then added this to the desktop session startup file ~/desktop-session/startup:
Menu > Control Centre > Session > User Desktop-Session
# Screen layout files from ARandR
.screenlayout/default_1280x720.sh

If I edit GRUB during boot to remove VGA=788, after startup antiX offers me video hardware Virtual-0 and screen resolutions up to 1920x1080. So I went through the above steps to add a file for this case as well: ~/.screenlayout/Virtual-0_1440x900.sh. I guess I can use update-grub to remove the VGA=788 but just seems like VGA=788 should not be included as a default since it seems to limit available screen resolutions.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
It is included by default since some users had the opposite problem of not booting without it. A vga= option is also needed for the live boot splash to work. User can use F7 to set any/none as they wish and this will carry over to install.
brucehohl
Got it. Thanks for the explanation, and tip to use F7, and a very nice distro!