roland
Dear friends,

Luddite is just so good I have allowed myself to be overtaken by later releases. I'll attend to that problem shortly.

However I'm getting trouble after creating or formatting an ext4 partition on a pendrive with Gparted. Can't write to it from SpaceFM, the PASTE option is greyed out. But if I format it to Fat32 or NTFS I can write it.

I'm sure I have written ext4 partitions in the past in fact I'm dead certain I have so it's something changed over time, something I've done wrong for certain. My release is quite old, / home/ roland/ roland_files/ computer_stuff/ antix_stuff/ downloads_05_september_2016/ antiX-13_x64-full.iso

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance from a really very satisfied Antix user.

Best wishes

Roland
fatmac
Permission problem - if you want to access it with your user account change the ownership.
( As created, it is owned by 'root'.)
dolphin_oracle
Here's the skinny for those that don't know.

1. linux filesystems have filesystem level permissions controls

2. Some Microsoft/Windows formats do as well, but with caveats.

3. FAT partitions do not maintain any permissions controls at all.

4. ntfs partitions CAN maintain permissions, but under linux the default is usually to override them with mount options.

I wrote an mx wiki article about ways to format a ext partition with your user as owner right out of the gate. Side benefit...its faster that using gparted. In antiX, also consider spacefm for your formatting needs if you want a gui method.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/format-ext4-filesystem-be-owned-regular-user"
linktext was:"https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/format- ... gular-user"
====================================
roland
Thanks for these responses, poroblem resolved.

Thanks to all of you for AntiX, it does all I want and installs on anything I have. I plan to have a go with 16.1 when I get my next junk box working.

Roland